1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post threshold requirements to do extra

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nasreen1968, Nov 24, 2015.

1. nasreen1968

nasreen1968 New commenter

Hi
    I just want some advice. I'm in a lovely school and have a TLR 2b for phase leader as well as maths co ordinator. I'm also on UP1, however I've been told by my leadership team that I need to run a club or do extra as I am a post threshold teacher. i have explained that I physically cannot fit anything else. I work up to 12 hours a day and leave exhausted each day. Running a club would take up to 2 hours additional hours a week.
    I was told that this was a government requirement not from the school that any teacher on UP was required to do more for the wider school, which I feel i am doing as part of my TLR.
    I am hardworking and am putting long hours in with impact on my work life balance. I feel anything else would force me out of teaching.
    I would like to know whether this is happening in other schools.

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

What a load of rubbish. It is not a requirement of the STPCD that post-threshold teachers 'run a club': contributing to the wider school is open to interpretation and your SLT have decided to make up a fairy tale. I bet your school's Pay Policy doesn't specify that 'wider contribution' means 'run a club' - make sure you have a copy of it.

nasreen1968 and FolkFan like this.
  3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

STPCD 2015 page 22 (my bold)

15. Application to be paid on the upper pay range

15.1. Qualified teachers may apply to be paid on the upper pay range at least once a year in line with their school’s pay policy. Relevant bodies shall assess any such application received and make a determination, in line with their pay policy, on whether the teacher meets the criteria in paragraph 15.2. Where a teacher is subject to the 2011 Regulations or the 2012 Regulations, the relevant body shall have regard to the assessments and recommendations in the teacher’s appraisal reports under those regulations.

15.2. An application from a qualified teacher will be successful where the relevant body is satisfied:

a) that the teacher is highly competent in all elements of the relevant standards; and

b) that the teacher’s achievements and contribution to an educational setting or settings are substantial and sustained.

15.3. The pay policy shall set out the process for assessing applications and make clear how the relevant body will interpret the criteria in paragraph 15.2.

15.4. Any decision made under paragraph 15 applies only to employment in that same school.

nasreen1968 likes this.
  4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Usual rubbish from a HT trying to get more blood out of a stone as it were.

Of course you may have to watch your back as you start getting less favourable observations or find the latest book scrutiny doesn't reach teachers standards.....

5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The halcyon days where a teacher could swan up the pay scale by doing jack have, for better or worse, long gone.

Either do the club , take a pay cut or face the wrath of SLT I'm afraid

6. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I would say that you have to make a contribution to the wider school outside the remit of your tlr to justify ups. You can't be paid twice for the same thing. However, as a previous poster has said, wider contribution is subjective and doesn't mean running a club.

7. Compassman

Er you cannot have your pay cut. You cannot have UPS removed (although Nicky Morgan wants this to happen).

This teacher is already doing 12 hours a day = 60 hours a week. This is not 'jack'; it is vastly over what they should be doing. SLT are just trying to bully this teacher into doing more work for nothing.

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Your TLR covers your TLR work. Your UPS is separate to that, so you do need to demonstrate wider school responsibility. However, that doesn't necessarily mean a club! Are there any other ways you could fulfil this that you could suggest instead?

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I would imagine that @nasreen1968 is already fulfilling the requirements of the upper pay scale (see my post #3 for actual wording of STPCD): writing SoW, running INSETs and staff meetings, mentoring etc are all worthy contributions. Running extra-curricular clubs has always been and should remain a voluntary activity that teachers undertake out of goodwill, not a compulsory expectation.

There was another thread recently that highlighted a recent Ofsted report that criticised a primary school's extra-curricular provision because it did not dovetail with the compulsory curriculum. It is that kind of criticism and the complaint by the OP that are seriously eroding goodwill in schools.

10. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

I agree it doesn't have to be a club but it sounds like the OP receives a TLR for her role where she would run INSET's etc so she needs to have a wider impact outside her TLR role for UPS.

11. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Remember that TLRs are not awarded for 'wider contribution' they are written into a school's management structure and relate to a post (core curriculum lead, teaching and learning lead etc) and can be temporary. UPS was first introduced to allow teachers to remain in the classroom so that they did not need to move into a management role to secure a higher salary. There are no additional teacher standards allied to moving to UPS, so it could be argued that as long as you are consistently meeting the Teacher's Standards this could be deemed as a substantial and sustained contribution to the educational setting. Unfortunately, as we are seeing all too frequently on TES moving to or within UPS puts teachers in the firing line.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    midnight_angel likes this.
  12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If I were the OP I would sit down and make a list of all the tasks I complete over an average year. I would then share it with family/friends (in the school) and ask them If I've missed anything out (we teachers often aren't good at blowing our own trumpets, I find).

Then I'd rearrange the tasks into different categories - I'd bet there will be several which show 'contribution to the wider school' - I'd then tidy up the list and present it to my HT, adding that if I am required to do more in that category, which of those things in the other categories would they like me to stop doing.... I might also add on a few references to government comments about 'work/life' balance too...

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Some SLTs, I suppose to tick another box in the SEF, want everyone to run a lunchtime and/or after-school club, which usually means that the teacher ends up with one or two regulars attenders, or none at all.

14. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

I understand all of that. What I was trying to say is that the OP couldn't use leading a maths INSET as evidence for her UPS because she is paid separately for that. She can however use whole school assemblies etc as evidence of a wider contribution to the school, or any INSET's she might lead that are not part of her phase leader or maths responsibility.

Sillow likes this.
  15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

That's what I meant by other ways she could fulfil the criteria.

16. Compassman

Those teachers that moved onto UPS some 10 years ago have seen terms and conditions changed. Moving the goalposts again of course.

Of course some HTs try and use their interpretation of the Teacher's Standards to get more out of their UPS teacher. Basically they are threatened with capability if they don't achieve them.

Capability used to mean that you were a rubbish teacher now it means you aren't able to sell your soul to the school.

17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Where does it say that the contribution cannot be something which is done as part of a TLR? I can't find in STPCD.

18. Compassman

Because it's not there!

19. nasreen1968

nasreen1968 New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. I wish I had enough time in the day to fit a club in but don't. My release time is patchy so I tend to work after school, and leading a curriculum area as well as a phase is time consuming, on top of teaching a class.There are simply on enough hours in a day.
    I think there is a serious issue that teachers are being bullied to feel guilty that we are not doing enough. Its interesting that a report this week shows that teachers are working too hard, which is not reflected in pay. I feel if there is pressure, then I will leave.

20. Compassman

It's a scandal what teachers are being asked to do.

It's not really about pay but for what teachers are paid (even on £37500 for a UPS3 teacher - not many these days) it is not enough for the pressure and stress that teachers going through. Most teachers who aren't on UPS are on £32k top and they are still working like mad treated like s**t.

My previous head kept going on about not getting 'value for money' from the UPS teachers which meant that you had to give up every waking hour for the school. It's a job not a lifestyle choice!

nasreen1968 likes this.