1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

post threshold expectations?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by breadmaker, Jul 6, 2011.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Just wondered if any HT's differentiate between post threshold and pre-threshold teachers in any visible way in terms of planning and assessment expectations? Thanks for any replies.

2. Are you a happy, rich UPS grade teacher or a disgruntled mainscale teacher comparing your similar workload for less pay? I try & have set higher expectations via Performance M but it is very hard to enforce.

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

If you are a HT, then how rich are you?
    I don't know any 'rich UPS grade teachers' but I do know quite a few well off HT's.

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Neither! I'm a middle manager with a post-threshold teacher on the team who is grossly underperforming and hiding behind everyone else!

5. If you are looking for ways to hold a UPS teacher to account for their extra salary it is hard. If you look at the Teaching Standards for UPS they talk vaguely about being an outstanding teacher, supporting colleagues and behaving professionally. If a UPS teacher is not any of these things then what do you do? They may be able to produce satisfactory standards in the classroom but are not bad enough for any process. I work with one who refuses to do anything extra eg. support colleagues, without non-contact time and time to prepare. She earns £50 less a month than a fantastic Deputy who is outstanding and works very hard. They can't opt out either. One UPS teacher I know admitted to me that they were all given UPS if they agreed to supervise lining up for lunch by the outgoing Head. She couldn't opt out when she asked to. If there are any good ideas around it would be good to hear them.

6. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

This seems to be the issue. UPS was originally designed to keep "good"teachers in the classroom rather than out of class leading and managing- fatal flaw- how do you keep tabs on someone you have awarded a pay rise to because they don't need keeping tabs on! and what to do when their observations are constantly graded satisfactory. Maybe after so many years of UPS, they should have to be observed by an astute outsider who could turn up at short notice and would gain their evidence from speaking to the children about what life was like in that class every day? What a conundrum! Thanks for your replies.