1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post threshold application

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MissF08, Oct 28, 2011.

1. I am now in my fourth year of teaching and so am at point M4 on the pay scale. I have started to look at the post threshold stadards and feel that I am already meeting these and can provide evidence for them.
    Do I have to wait until I have reached M6 before applying to go through threshold or could I apply now?
    If anyone could make this clearer for me I would really appreciate any advice!
    Many thanks.

2. yes you have to be in your M6 year in order to be assessed for threshold. The only way to go through 'early' would be if you had started higher up the pay scale initially.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

kritur is right about the timing, I'm afraid. You mention that you can provide evidence of all the standards. That is great, but the evidence is supposed to be in your PM reviews. As you have started looking at standards in such good time, you can make sure that they do all show up somewhere in the 2 PM reviews before you apply. Your PM reviewer should know all this, but it doesn't do any harm for you to be proactive about it. That way, there can be absolutely no argument when you do apply.

4. The increments on the main pay scale are intended to reflect your increased experience. That is why you go up a point each year. Only when you get to M6 does the focus change so that the jump onto the upper pay scale is performance-related. So in a sense it is irrelevant whether or not you meet the post-threshold standards now. They are only there as criteria to judge whether or not you should move onto UPS once you reach the top of the MPS.