1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post sats year 6 expectations

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, May 16, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi all, Am new to year 6 on a long term supply cover... and have come from year 3! Have been told to pretty much give them a nice end of year, but obviously still need to ensure they're learning.

Just wanted to see how everyone else approached it now- i'm not talking about 'what' you're teaching, but 'how' you're teaching? How in depth are you going? Are expectations with writing, etc, still the same post sats or do you let go a little bit?

Also, how do you deal with the "I don't have to do this" Attitude which comes post sats because they're obv looking forward to moving on?

Any other tips or hints? I feel very overwhelmed right now and don't know what my expectations should be as i've come from a younger group! How much do I need to up my game teaching wise? Is there anything useful I could look at to support me?

Help!

2. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I don't let up on my expectations one bit. In answer to the "I don't have to do this" attitude mine are given the same choice as before SATs: you do it now or you do it at breaktime! This is normally followed by some kind of rant about spending all their time in detention or exclusion at secondary school if they carry on with that attitude.
    We also have a bit of fun though, but they know this is earned not a right. They continue to work hard in the mornings and we have more fun afternoons.

3. No, I warn them that we will work just as hard if not harder to catch up on everything we haven't managed to squeeze in. We still have fun doing it but we do a detailed history topic, write our own end of school production and fit in some other bits and pieces. We have a last week which is fun, with a prom afternoon (we teach ballroom dancing), a rounders tournament, and a day of silly games involving large amounts of water! We just remind them constantly that we expect them to behave and work hard until the last day of term.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ok.. How do you deal with the bad language that comes into year 6 classrooms? I've noticed there is a lot more than in my year 3 class and they're very open about it! What do you say / do?

Also what do you say to the "I'm not doing that, it's boring" comment from a SEN child who punishments don't work for?!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errr there is no bad language in my year 6 classroom. I'd kill them and they know it! They aren't even allowed to say cra p or shut up.

"You can do it here or in Mr ABCD's office. Either is fine, which would you like?" usually works for the I'm not doing that children.

6. As for expectations - still high, but I guess our focus is slightly different. We try to incorporate some slightly more creative/project-based work that wouldn't fit quite so well into the pre-SATs run up.

As for bad language...I agree with the previous poster...there isn't any*, and if there was...they'd be for it!!

*can't vouch for playground language. [​IMG]

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

And what about when they say they don't care about being sent to management?! And management have no effect? Just feel like some of them think they can do exactly as they please and not do what theyve been asked!

Also, when they throw a bit of a hormonal strop and answer you back and stuff, how do you respond to that? Sorry for all the nqt type questions, am very new to year 6!