1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post SATS- teachers letting children go mad

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SIRFRANK, May 10, 2011.

1. Following on from another thread where a teacher cited the fact they would be having a huge water fight on the field post SATS...

I really dont understand this huge outcry with SATS in anyway. They are just another test on just another assessment week-the sort most good schools will be doing termly in order to moderate and back up TA. We wont be going mad Thurs afto, having a massive party or jumping on tables singing. The thought of it I think would embarass the kids I teach I think. A quiet well done, a small token and some sense of intrinsic self pride and motivation worth so much more in the long run.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Don't you have a huge water fight every Thursday?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You do as you wish, we are going for a meal out and a boat ride! The children are not at all embarassed ( of what?) but are looking forward to a celebration of all their hard work over the past 6 and a half years which has resulted in them being the well rounded children they are today. The end of SATs is just a convenient time to do so.

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

No, we normally do it on a Tuesday after breaktime!

I see no problem with having a party to celebrate the end of SATs. My kids have worked really hard this year and deserve a chance to be rewarded. They certainly won't be going mad...they're already totally crazy!

5. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

sometime the carrot is just as effective and the promise of a celebration gets them through it

6. karentee

karentee New commenter

I really don't get it either, especially when there is still so much of the school year to get through. I have never understood why quite so much pressure is put on the children in year 6 for their SATs week, everyone ***** footing aorund them when my dear year 4s have also been slaving away doing thier SATs this week, with not a word of good luck from anyone, and, bless them, they didn't even know they were going to be doing them! Isn't it just all part of everyday life in school? (unfortunatley!)

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

because, whether we like it or not, poor results in year 2's and 6 can bring the dreaded call from OFSTED much sooner that good ones tend to!

8. redx11

redx11 New commenter

So agree, my year 2s sitting SATs this week and they never get a mention. I try to keep the pressure down but they know they are doing tests because they have to sit differently to prevent copying. All help goes to year 6, even breakfast club open to all year 6 what about the poor year 2s and all the other classes doing non statutory SATs next week?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The entire school is judged on year 6 results. Like it or not we are. Hence they are more important than the other year groups. For children it is their last chance to prove themselves before secondary school.

Ours have a normal Thursday afternoon as it is our PPA time...we aren't giving away celebration time to other people! We are watching a DVD on Friday morning (mainly to free up one year 6 teacher to enable the other to administer level 6 tests.) and making models from newspaper after a calculator treasure hunt tomorrow afternoon. And normal singing lesson on Friday pm, which the children would be devastated to miss.

The children are looking forward to science week next week (with a few surreptitious assessment opportunities for us teachers thrown in) and storytelling week the week after.

10. Don't worry karentree. When your 'dear year 4s' are in year 6, they will also get the attention and support they deserve in order to successfully complete their primary learning.
    I can never understand why providing children with every possible chance for success, really offends some people.

11. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

We have this attitude in my school, people begrude loosing their support to provide extra help/readers in the SATs tests for 4 mornings.

12. I supposed it really depends on the kind of celebration and plans you know the childrens parents have in mind. Mine are all very fortunate, they will be well rewarded in many ways over the weekend as I have spoken to quite a few parents about it. They need and want nothing from me. As said, they will get a round of applause from the school on Friday in assembly and a few kind words but thats it. I'll leave it to others to get their kids jumping on tables, having water fights, parties, boat trips and other quite bizarre practises. The children come to school to work hard, we expect that, we expect they try their best, we expect they take a personal pride in their performance and behave accordingly. In short I suppose I do not reward what I consider to the norm. As for celebrating their achievements at the end of primary school, I think people are flawed here. My TA overall picture is their achievement not their ability to sit a 45 min test on a snapshot on a subject. I know my TA and the SATS scores wont match-there can be little achievement in a test which shows and proves nothing.

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I am going to wait until after half term to do the L6 optional papers for maths. We have Science on Friday (yay!). Did you pick a few from your class or are they all going to do it?

14. Milgod

If only that were true.

I still think you sound a bit boring and need to lighten up a little.

15. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I'm being mean and making mine do last years sample Science paper on Friday! (but then we'll party all afternoon). We're going to do the L6 optional papers a few weeks after half term so I've got time to do the extra little bits with them. Haven't totally decided but I think all of them will be doing the maths and reading, not sure about the writing after seeing what they made of the newspaper report in the 3-5 paper!

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have to hand in our TA results to the LA by the 20th May, so are doing ours now.

Picked for mine. We have 60 children in the year group and no way can I be printing and copying that many papers for many children just cannot do it.

We have 10 doing the maths and 15 doing the reading. Well approximately, one or two are going away and other such things. Not all will get it though.

Can't see the point in getting children working at level 3 to do a level 6 test.

17. In response to what we are doing at the end - Normal Friday AM and
    Friday afternoon we are having a movie and going to get them some
    popcorn or something.....I think they deserve it, it is really the
    first time they have sat down and done 'formal' testing, in the hall,
    like the big ones do in secondary school. What did you do after
    completing your exams? We don't do formalised testing in any other
    year group, no optional SATs in years 3-5 so for our Year 6 it is
    something special, they are growing up and maturing in the educational
    system.......they feel special that they are taking their 'exams' or
    'tests'

18. Milgod

That's a bit early isn't it?
    I wouldn't get the whole year to do it either. I have top set maths though. A good 20 are working at L5.

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

YES!!!! Stupid flippin LA who also want sub levels for all the attainment targets separately as well. As if ANYONE cares!

20. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

if we are honest does anyone care how much Y6 learn or progress after tomorrow until September? local authority can waffle on about TA as long as they want but no one looks at them once test results are out.
    Once tomorrow is out of the way and we have properly celebrated ,my class of Y6 will begin some long projects that will enable them to learn life skills, group skills, leadership, enterprise and everything else that isnt measured by tests in May. we will also start out end of year concert performance. they will work extremely hard and will learn a lot about themselve and each other.

I saw an Y8 pupil in Tescos over the holiday who said they had really appreciated the way they had been looked after in test week and everything they had done after had really helped them at secondary school.