1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post Retirement

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by happygreenfrog, Oct 8, 2015.

1. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

In the country in which I reside, I'm not eligible to work over the age of 60 and as such will need to retire at the 59. I plan to continue to live here after retirement and possibly do a little tutoring for a few years to keep the grey matter ticking and food on the table. I've even considered the prospect of taking some temporary short term posts in the region - there can't be too many experienced teachers around able to cover a maternity leave - especially as my UK pension entitlements won't be kicking in for a few years.

I do however have this idea of involving myself in community teaching, volunteering to help in the local school if they want me and can legally allow me inside, and offering free opportunities for children in my neighborhood once or twice a week. Has anyone any experience of such initiatives or considered something else I'm not yet aware of?

2. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

The VSO upper age limit is apparently 75 now and I wouldn't rule out doing that after my more gainfully-employed years are up. Obviously depends on health and fitness, among other things.

3. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Good post hgf, I will be in the same position in a year or two and have considered similar options, whilst I have nothing meaningful to add (nothing new there some might say!) except encouragement and the request that you share anything you do find out. Good Luck.

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Cheers for the VSO heads up, SPC2; easily overlooked.

Mike, whilst attending a training seminar earlier this year a guest speaker from a neighbouring country, explained her diplomatic role assisting and co-ordinating education policy with the host government. Following an email she informed me that there are often education bodies with which foreign governments may be working alongside the host country education departments. As such, contacting the consul at your local embassy may lead to some new suggestions.

5. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Work may well be a necessity for me in my twilight years if I want to continue living in the style to which I have become accustomed...

[​IMG]

Mazfromuk likes this.
  6. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

British School Jakarta run a neighborhood school called Sekolah Bisa in Tangerang for street children; it might be worth a look if you wanted to do something similar.