1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post NQT year training and development

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by debhogan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Hi there, I'm coming into my last term as an NQT and just starting to think about possible training and development for next year. I don't know what's out there and my school haven't really mentioned anything specific - although staff seem to be going on various bits of training, courses and gaining qualifications so I feel confident that if I suggest something, they will be open to the idea.
    The problem is, I'm not sure what's best for me. I'd like something practical, as opposed to academic at this stage and am keen to hone/learn new skills so I can be the best teacher that I can. Is there a particular Improving Teachers Programme that I should look at that people can recommend? Or anything else that might be appropriate? Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Many thanks

2. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Hi, I think you need to start this the other way around. What do you need to do to improve or areas that you need/want to develop? Eg: ICT, assessment, teaching outstanding lessons, or curriculum issues like teaching A level for the first time whatever it is.... Then see what cpd is on offer - exam board courses are used perhaps for GCSE abd A Level courses.
    Companies I have experienced good training courses with are Osiris Education and Lighthouse. They have websites to browse your local authority might also have some local courses too.
    CPD isn't just courses though - read books, go and watch other people teach too. You are more likely to get to go on a course if it meets a clear professional development need.
    All best,[​IMG]