1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post NQT pay?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by snakesonaplane, Mar 18, 2016.

1. snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane New commenter

Hi all. After a few setbacks I passed my PGCE year in summer 2014. I secured a job to start in Jan 2015. I completed my NQT year in December 2015, with the review being sent off Jan 8th. I have received confirmation from QTS that I have passed my NQT year.

The isse I'm having is whether I'm supposed to have a pay rise from NQT to fully qualified? All of my friends who passed the same year as me got one (they all started NQT years in September but I hadn't secured a job over the summer before) so am I missing something?

I recently brought this up with the deputy and head who said that my original contract has been extended. Should I have been given a new one?

I really hate talking about money so I end up putting that conversation off a lot but I haven't had a performance management meeting at all (so no chance to discuss this issue) and noone has come to talk to me about any of these things, so I don't really know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You need to read your school's Pay and conditions policy.

The School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document (“The Document”) requires schools and local authorities to have a pay policy which sets out the basis on which they determine teachers’ pay; the date by which they will determine the teachers’ annual pay review; and the procedures for determining appeals. Schools and local authorities must stay within the legal framework set out in the Document and in other relevant legislation that affects all employers (for example, legislation on equality, employment protection and data protection). All procedures for determining pay should be consistent with the principles of public life - objectivity, openness and accountability.

In our policy it states:
    Upon successful completion of the induction year, where the NQTs contractual arrangement is continuing, the FHR committee will increase the salary of the NQT. The salary will normally be increased by one reference point.

Therefore in my school you would have had a pay increase from 1st january.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And the point being made there is that in Jesmond's school you would have got that payrise, as did your fellow PGCE-ers. Because it is in that school's Pay Policy. But that if your school's Pay Policy does not say this, you will not. :(

It all depends on the Pay Policy of each individual school, so you need to read carefully your school's.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Best wishes

Jesmond12 likes this.
  4. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

You have no right to anything anymore under the new "free from LA/Government" model of education.

If your school is an academy, free school or any of the other non-LA schools then they can have any pay policy they like. You need to get hold of a copy of your school's one and read it carefully.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Pay rises usually occur in September. In the old days, they were not related to passing your NQT, and working from January to August would have been enough to move up the pay scale. Now, as has been pointed out, schools implement their own policies. Read yours/ You may well find that you are entitled to a rise (assuming a good PM review), but not until September.

6. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I think our school does their performance reviews in October, then back-dates it. You may be in the unfortunate position of having to wait another few months.

You'll need to read your school's policy or ask someone in the financial side of things - bursar, payroll manager, finance officer, whatever they call it.

With the government's commitment to having all schools Academise by 2022, I think the "read your school's policy" advice will be a lot more common in the future. Divide and conquer?

Godmeister likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually, I have been saying this a great deal for the last two years, especially in the Pay & Conditions forum!

Best wishes

Godmeister likes this.
  8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

For a long time now!

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Under STPCD, LA schools have plenty of scope for creating their own pay policies, so the creation of more academies won't make a lot of difference.

10. snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. I knew that later on it wouldn't be automatic with going up the pay scale and all I kind of just assumed at least this one would happen. I will have a chat with office staff on Monday and see what can be done about it. Also should there have been a "brand new" contract of sorts after finishing the NQT year. I thought since I would have had a change of status of sorts from NQT to fully qualified that I would go onto a new contract rather than the old one continuing further?

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not unless you had a clearly stated temporary contract as an NQT and they've now told you you're getting a permanent contract.

wanet likes this.