1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post NQT pay

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by bubbles1985, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I'm at the end of my NQT year, with the promise of staying in the same class next year. I'm currently on the M1 pay scale and have been informed that I will have to take on a responsibility next year. I have not had a chance to discuss pay with the Head yet..but in your experience does this mean that I will automatically go up to M2?

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

There's no "automatically" anything anymore!! You will need to check the school's pay policy to see what it says.

3. JaneyEm27

JaneyEm27 New commenter

I know of RQTs who have not moved up the pay scale despite passing NQT and taking on responsibility. As above: it is in the school policy and some policies are quite loaded against progression. However, the union's position on it is that passing NQT means you have proven you have contributed to the school and met the standards, and progression should not just be "results based", so while your first port of call is to check the pay policy and have a discussion in school, if you feel like the additional responsibility in such that you should be paid more and they don't progress you, you might want to contact the union.

4. There is no more automatic progression in your early years of teaching. You need to check the school's policy on performance and pay and check if there will be progression, you cannot assume.

James

Follow me on twitter @edujdw