1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post nominal qualifications

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by movielover, Jul 22, 2006.

1. I rarely find the need to reel off my qualifications, but I am getting to the point in which my "full" title may be useful.

However i am unsure of the correct way to present the information.

For example,

I think it should be NAME BA (HONs)1st Class,

but do you put the grade after? I have been told you do if its a first.

But..I also did the Professional Qualifying Exam for the BIPP, Which is PQE BIPP i think.

On top of that i have a PGCE

and now i am doing a Masters and have passed the first two stages, so i have a Masters Cetificate abd Diploma, which will eventually be a degree.

So, does the MA replace the BA? Is there a specific order?

Should it be NAME BA (HONS) 1st Class, PQE BIPP, PGCE, MA

??

Quite confused.

2. I rarely find the need to reel off my qualifications, but I am getting to the point in which my "full" title may be useful.

However i am unsure of the correct way to present the information.

For example,

I think it should be NAME BA (HONs)1st Class,

but do you put the grade after? I have been told you do if its a first.

But..I also did the Professional Qualifying Exam for the BIPP, Which is PQE BIPP i think.

On top of that i have a PGCE

and now i am doing a Masters and have passed the first two stages, so i have a Masters Cetificate abd Diploma, which will eventually be a degree.

So, does the MA replace the BA? Is there a specific order?

Should it be NAME BA (HONS) 1st Class, PQE BIPP, PGCE, MA

??

Quite confused.

3. Dodros

Dodros Occasional commenter

I've never heard of anybody putting "1st class" after a first degree when listing qualifications after one's name. I'm even doubtful about using the "Hons" appendage even if one is entitled to it. There are other ways of drawing people's attention to the levels of these awards, e.g. in the credentials portion of a CV or letter of application.

My brother has a bachelor's, a master's and a doctor's degree. He simply lists the PhD after his name. I have a BA, MA and MEd degrees as well as a Graduate Certificate in Education and an Advanced Diploma in Special Needs in Education. If I wanted to list my postnominal qualifications, I think I would confine myself to "MA, MEd", i.e. list just the highest degrees.

If you want an example of qualification listings of teaching staff, have a look at Eton College's at

http://www.etoncollege.com/eton.asp?di=370

Not a "Hons" or a "1st class" in sight.

Remember, the person who probably has the longest list of academic qualifications after his name is the president of a certain Southern African country who has banned the BBC from its territory. And Idi Amin wasn't far behind in the "gongs" stakes. So don't overdo the listing.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The main qualifications should be in order of precedence, so MA before BA.
    I'd only ever put PGCE or PQE if it were relevant, so normally one would be ignored.

5. When my university alumni association write to me, they address me as BA(Hons) - but nobody else does!

6. Oooh, my friend is on that Eton list.

7. excellent, thanks for the advice,

I agree that less is more in these cases, so will wait till i pass the masters in july and then stick with MA,

and only add the PGCE if its teaching related, the rest is on my C.V anyway.

I saw someone recently put HND after their name! LOL

cheers

8. I was always told that you gave your academic qualifiations in ascending order, so BA or BSc in most cases then onto Masters. If you got your Masters degree from the same university you dropped the Batchelors degree but if you got the Masters from a different university you left the Batchelor degree on record (as it were). So on up the scale.

Honours, be they MBE, MP or whatever go before the educational qualification and professional qualifications (including PGCE etc) come after in order of seniority - associate after fellow and dropping lower postnominals as you go.

In my case I am BA PhD LLM CDir FIoD MCMI

I had a couple of others in there but dropped them as I was fed up paying subscriptions and undertaking CPD courses for qualifications I'd stopped using. The masters degree comes third because I got it after the PhD (25 years after) and in a different subject altogether.

9. It seems there are different conventions in different countries, depending on the context. In addition, some publishers may have their own style. However, I imagin that most academic publications in Britain would follow broadly similar styles. For example, according to http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/calendar/, under Style Guide, doing an MA, followed by a PhD, at Glasgow, followed by an MLitt at Stirling, would yield MA PhD Glas, MLitt Stir.

In Scotland, however, an MA (an ordinary degree) is distinct from an MA Honours degree, so it would probably read MA (Hons) PhD Glas, MLitt Stir.