1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post-Nominal Names Query

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by toreilly102, Jun 16, 2020.

1. toreilly102

toreilly102 New commenter

I know I'm asking one of the most pointless questions, it's not like I'll be quoting this ever but it did get me thinking! I have a BMus and a PGCE and I'm about to finish my MA in Education where I am transferring my PGCE credits over to it. I've also heard you put postgraduate certificates and diplomas at the end. Would my post-nominals then be Name BMus PGCE or Name BMus MA PGCE, or Name BMus MA? Would I include QTS at the end too? I clearly have very little to think about at the moment but would be interested to find out! Thanks!

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

It’s an interesting question, I have been wondering the same thing recently as I am submitting my MA dissertation and we have to put any previous qualifications after our name on the title page.I had a bit of a google and went for BSc (Hons) PGCE.

In my googling, I found out that it is generally considered a bit odd to put PGCE as a post nominal.

I think when I have my MA, it will be BSc (Hons) MA PGCE but it would really depend what you are using it for. Head teachers on school signs tend to list everything although I always think it’s a bit much with they start listing NPQH etc.

As for QTS, again it’s a bit of an overkill and not a generally accepted post nominal I don’t think.

toreilly102 and Rott Weiler like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I agree with @Owleyes00. Putting QTS is IMO a bit like putting your cycling proficiency test. If someone applied to me for a job and included QTS as post-nominal letters I'd think they were a bit of a tw*t. Personally I think NPQH shouldn't be used that way either, although I know some people do.

Where it's relevant to show you have these things - job applications - there will be somewhere else on the application you can list them.

My old headteacher, who was a bit old school, didn't even think you should list "(Hons)" after your degree as unless it was an Honours degree it wasn't something you should publicise! Not sure I'd go that far, although I just use BSc and leave it at that.

But context is also relevant. So eg when you are presenting something in an academic context for other academics you'd include more academic qualifications than you might put in, say, your email signature block for use with parents and the general public.

A quick google showed this guide from one UK university (one of the examples includes PGCE). The institution you are at may have something similar.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/students/graduation/certificates/post-nominal-letters/

toreilly102 likes this.
  4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Different places have different ideas on the order. Generally civil honours, military honours, HE degrees in order (so BMus, PGCE, MA) then membership of academic/professional bodies etc (so finally QTS and possibly MCCT). In day to day life you won't need to list them all though and generally where you do need to include them you'll only include the most relevant one like your MA.

toreilly102 likes this.