1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post Natal Depression

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by lilypot, May 29, 2011.

1. I'm been having major difficulty with LO as she has had reflux and we thought we had it under control (Gaviscon + Omeprazole) but despite still using the medication, yesterday and today it has all come back. I find myself so frustrated that I am often in tears as I hate seeing LO hungry when she won't feed.
    Part of me wonders if I have PND - but I can't see how medication for it would help me? Not to blow my own trumpet, but I know that I'm doing all I can for her, I know I'm not a terrible mum, I'm feeding her solids as much as possible to sustain her, but I can't help being in tears when I see how unhappy she is (although, she doesn't cry but just gets frustrated by furiously kicking her legs and batting away the bottle) - and I don't cry in front of her otherwise that just sets her off and I've no chance then!
    I'm not particularly an anxious person and when I did the questionnaire it says about crying obviously I tick yes quite often - but then, that's because LO feeds (or tries to feed 5 times in the day - which is alot of tears but it's for a reasonable cause if that makes sense?). I'll speak to the HV but does this sound like PND? and how would medication help as the reflux and feeding problems would still be there.

2. I'm been having major difficulty with LO as she has had reflux and we thought we had it under control (Gaviscon + Omeprazole) but despite still using the medication, yesterday and today it has all come back. I find myself so frustrated that I am often in tears as I hate seeing LO hungry when she won't feed.
    Part of me wonders if I have PND - but I can't see how medication for it would help me? Not to blow my own trumpet, but I know that I'm doing all I can for her, I know I'm not a terrible mum, I'm feeding her solids as much as possible to sustain her, but I can't help being in tears when I see how unhappy she is (although, she doesn't cry but just gets frustrated by furiously kicking her legs and batting away the bottle) - and I don't cry in front of her otherwise that just sets her off and I've no chance then!
    I'm not particularly an anxious person and when I did the questionnaire it says about crying obviously I tick yes quite often - but then, that's because LO feeds (or tries to feed 5 times in the day - which is alot of tears but it's for a reasonable cause if that makes sense?). I'll speak to the HV but does this sound like PND? and how would medication help as the reflux and feeding problems would still be there.

3. From what you have said (and I am not a psychiatrist/psychologist) I am not sure that you have PND, it sounds like you are worn out, worried and a bit fed up. That's not to say that you are not suffering in any way and that is is not very, very hard but I am not sure whether a diagnosis/prescription for anti-depressants is going to be all that helpful - as you say all of the issues would still be there.
    How old is your LO? If you are at the weaning stage then it is likely that her milk feeds will start to decrease quite soon. Also as her stomach matures the reflux will pass (apparently by 1 year old for most babies). I know it may seem like cold comfort but in a few months time this may seem like ancient history.
    Have you managed to have a night out/some time yet? Maybe try and take some time out if you can and go and see a mate, try and talk about other things and forget about it for a little while. Feeding is a big thing in the day and so it is understandable that it can become incredibly wearing and fraught but, from my own experience, the more you focus on it the worse it seems. Even if you just take a little bit of time away from it, it might not seem so bad when you return.
    Remember that your LO is doing fine, I am sure she is gaining weight and thriving (the HV would certainly say something if she had concerns on this front). I found it helpful to take my LO to be weighed once every two weeks/month and that way I could be assured that he was putting on weight and therefore that there was no emergency. My LO's feeding problems seemed to just disappear, with no real intervention from me, I guess his stomach just matured over time.
    I hope this helps and that you get some time to relax and focus on something else for a little while.