1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lwi85, Jun 4, 2020.

1. lwi85

lwi85 New commenter

Hi all, My request to reduce my full time leadership role to 4 days wasn't approved after maternity leave so I handed my notice in recently. I'm pretty sure I've missed the boat for getting a job for September but would be interested to hear your experiences of finding jobs with a January start. I'm aware there will be fewer vacancies so am considering different options. I don't want to waste my leadership experiences but want to have time with my baby. It seems I can't have both!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's worth looking to see what comes up this week - if a school has had a few late resignations then they might be desperate for someone with some experience, given that most of the people applying now will be NQTs or people returning after a career break. If it's advertised as full-time but there's any mention of wanting experience, you could always get in touch and ask whether they would consider an application from someone wanting 0.8. After all, if they take an NQT, they'll only get 0.9. Or look out for any school advertising for a deputy from January - who might be delighted to hear of someone who can start earlier, and might consider 0.8.

steely1 and TheoGriff like this.
  3. ABCDETeacher

ABCDETeacher New commenter

I'd suggest caution about applying for leadership roles at schools and asking for a 0.8 when it's advertised as full time.

Some schools would quite happily take you for a ride and expect you to complete the full role for 0.8 of the salary, especially with budgets becoming tighter and tighter.

Nothing wrong with asking for part time, but make sure that you go to interview with a clear idea of which part of the role you will remove or pass onto another colleague to ensure you're doing 0.8 of the role for 0.8 of the salary.

You might have more success negotiating to be able to take your PPA time off site, particularly with the present situation showing how productive working from home can be.

I hope that makes sense!

lwi85 and TheoGriff like this.
  4. ABCDETeacher

ABCDETeacher New commenter

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I do agree that a 4 day a week leadership role sounds like you'll be expected to do the work of a full-timer in four days, for 4 days pay - they're not going to find anyone else to do the other day's work are they?
    If you would be willing to, an easier route might be to look for a non-leadership role, 3-4 days a week, make up any shortfall by potentially an hour or two of tutoring a week. You will have less responsibility and more time to spend with your baby. Then there will be plenty of opportunity to climb back up the leadership ladder - schools are crying out for SMT.

sharon7482 likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Indeed, that is specified in STPCD. It may be fair in some jobs where the TLR holder is needed every day, so that somebody else would have to take it on when the post holder is off one day a week, but it is not in roles where all the work can be done in the four days at school.

7. lwi85

lwi85 New commenter

Thanks everyone for your replies; I appreciate your thoughts. Doing a bit of tutoring while in a non leadership role is one of the options I'm considering. I'm just worried that taking a temporary step down might be career suicide!