1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post Interview Success

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by walksteve, Mar 3, 2020.

1. walksteve

walksteve New commenter

Hi

I have successfully gained a new role in a school starting in September.

I accepted the position at the long awaited phone call yesterday.

What should I expect next? A contract through the post? Email?

Should I arrange further visits to meet the team i will be leading? To have discussions with the quality of education team regarding priorities?

Send a thank you email?

What are colleagues’ experience of this post success process?

Thanks

2. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I'd assume that HR (or equivalent) will be in touch with all your relevant contractual information, and you can contact either the headteacher or the relevant line manager to organise a time to go in. It feels a bit stressful until the contract comes through, and I've spent time pinching myself and remembering that I was indeed offered the job...

For my last two schools I've had the opportunity to go in beforehand, and this was organised in the first by HR as a big induction day for all new staff, and in the second by an email conversation between me and the line manager for my department, who I'd been put in contact with by HR when they sent over the contract.

3. walksteve

walksteve New commenter

Thanks - you are right about it being stressful. I don’t think I will relax until the contract is signed.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First of all, congratulations! You can be proud of this success.

You may have a long wait, then!

An employer is not obliged to provide you with a "contract" until 2 months . . . after you've started work. So that could mean October half term. ;)

But you want some confirmation in writing, I know what you mean.

If you are feeling itsy, than I suggest that you write an email setting out clearly what the offer was. If you have got it wrong (perhaps they were only offering you a short-term part-time post teaching Mongilian Dancing), they'll get back to you pretty smartish!

Something on these lines:

Dear Mrs Jones (name of Headteacher)

Full-time permanent post of teacher of Science

I am writing to confirm my acceptance of the offer made to me on the phone by Mr Brown, Head of Science, on the evening of Monday 2nd March.

He offered and I accepted during that conversation the full-time permanent post of teacher of Science at Bloster Academy, beginning on 1st September 2020, at a starting salary of £29,500.

On receiving written confirmation of this offer, I shall withdraw from all other applications.

I would be pleased to receive also any other paperwork that I should fill in and return to you prior to the beginning of my employment.

I look forward to joining my new colleagues and contributing to the continuing success of Bloster Academy.

Yours sincerely,

Josephine White

Their offer and your acceptance have contractual force, but obviously anything verbal suffers from lack of proof!

The sentence about receiving the offer in writing before you withdraw from other applications should get them moving - they won't want to lose you. Make sure that you get the offer right, especially full-time v part-time, and permanent v fixed-term.

More helpful (I hope this is helpful!), so more helpful hints can be found here: http://bit.do/Clickk

Best wishes, and congratulations again!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump for others who need to write a confirmation email

Keep safe, everyone