1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post headship posts?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by la tete, Nov 13, 2015.

1. la tete

la tete New commenter

Hello, I am a headteacher currently off with work related stress due to issues with bullying ( yes it happens to heads too) and ineffective governance ....despite fighting I am no longer able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Would I be considered by another governing body whilst off sick?
    What other options are available to an ex head?

I feel I have a lot to give yet......

2. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

oops- know..even...Friday spellings!

3. la tete

la tete New commenter

Thank you for that virtual hug......we spend so much time and energy helping others that even though we get verbal support it is often the loneliest place to be with everyone supposing that as a head you should be able to go it alone...but in the wee small hours the racing thoughts and desperation has to be seen to be believed!

4. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

yep, managing on 3-4 hours sleep has become the norm now...before the 'work head' kicks in..

5. la tete

la tete New commenter

And everyone tells us to be careful of our well being...when will people realise that it is the actions of others that also affect our well being!

6. la tete

la tete New commenter

So....what do we do? Keep going until we end up sick......?

7. la tete

la tete New commenter

I haven't wanted to say much to my partner but sickness took over....be careful!!

8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

@la tete In answer to your original question, it will depend upon the situation. It will be a case of being positive in your application and interview. If you feel that your references will be OK then this will be the major hurdle.

I do know of one situation where a new HT started in September and left the following Easter into another HT job. Given the notice that HTs must give he must have started applying by about October. That was a long time ago, however and there were no illness issues, but he did have problems.

I think it will be a case of trying. Best of luck anyway.

9. la tete

la tete New commenter

Thank you for your advice ...I guess I'll have to consider things very carefully as low self esteem due to repeated issues over many years does not bode well for a positive application! And that's before we even consider the power of the jungle drums that goes with a small community. Thanks again

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you may be able to get back into Headship, if you have the resilience and courage to do it again.

Other members of SLT that I have known suffer from bullying (by parents, by the Head if DHT, by CoG, by Academy trusts, etc.), have decided that they no longer wished to lead a school.

They have gone into education consultancy in the main, although there have also been complete changes of career.

Have you thought of becoming an Interim Head? You will have experience that could be very valid here.

Interim SLT positions

Best wishes for a prompt recovery to full health

11. la tete

la tete New commenter

Thank you Theogriff and others. I most certainly DO have the resilience and courage-but everyone has their breaking point. I will look into the idea of interim head ships. Thank you so much :)

12. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I send you what virtual support I can la tete. I know how you feel.I am a new HT since January 2015 and it has been really tough working with governors. Good luck.

la tete likes this.
  13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope that works out for you - it seems to me a very interesting way of working, moving to different SLT positions in different schools.

Best wishes

la tete likes this.
  14. la tete

la tete New commenter

Thank you welshwales, irs1054, digoryvenn and TheoGriff for helping me today. It has been a black one today, I hope that a little bit of light comes through with your help.
    It's so frustrating to be told 'look after yourself' when in fact you know that away from school, actually, you're not bad at all, and yet one meeting, one person, one email, can have you in a mess and unable to do the day job! I don't want to leave my school, I don't want to be off sick, but I don't want the life I've had for far too long now because of a few individuals! I think moving around might be interesting as the passion and emotional attachment for one community is, I have found, sadly misplaced! You don't get a medal in this job, and neither should we expect one, but the more you put in the more some will keep taking out of you!.....not that I'm bitter..... :/

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best of luck - but DO make sure that you regain your health.