1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post-Brexit Britain's first big international trade success ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BigFrankEM, Jul 8, 2020.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Dr Fox was much better as Pop Idol judge than as Minister for International Trade

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. BigFrankEM

I cannot comment as I have no knowledge of the former.

Though, of the latter, I seem to recall that he was forced to resign (*) in somewhat difficult circumstances.

Certainly won't happen again as and when johnnyForeigner falls into line and invites Liam to take the WTO helm.

(*) Historical political terminology for little used procedure, which then fell into desuetude under the domBoris regime.

ajrowing likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

It is not going to be an easy task with the rivalry of China and USA. I don't think I would like such a role. Managing the wife is hard enough as she can drive hard bargains lol

5. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

"He is known as a prominent supporter of Brexit, and said in a 2017 interview that the UK’s free trade deal with the EU after leaving should be the easiest in human history."
    Obviously a man of the most refined political judgement and financial acumen. God help us all.

BigFrankEM likes this.
  6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

This would be "Disgraced Former Foreign Secretary and Failed Former International Trade Secretary" Liam Fox? I'd say the government were trolling the WTO if I thought they had that level of self-awareness.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

People rarely bother with the rest of the quote, though, in which Fox said that although it should be easy, it probably won't be in practice "because politics gets in the way of economics”.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Only a nomination so far. Let's not get over excited.

9. BigFrankEM

Cf :

My oft repeated parents' evening advice that " s/he is guaranteed an A*....

Just as long as the examiners don't pose any averagely difficult questions"

10. BigFrankEM

On reflection, a better analogy for Fox's hyperbole:

"... just so long as the examiners don't pose ANY questions."

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You manage your wife?
    Should we get Zoom or something similar so that you can hold seminars?