1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post advertised as temporary - contract received to sign says permanent - where do I stand??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hdcantona, Jun 1, 2020.

1. hdcantona

hdcantona New commenter

Hi all,

This is a bit different, I used to work in a school so they know me well I worked there in 2018 until May 2019 but then they had no work for me, so I did a month or two supply and then am still working now through a year's contract elsewhere

My old school re-advertised, I spoke to the head on the phone and he said (as the listing for the job said) - that it would be a fixed term until May job, but that there was a good chance it could become permanent if numbers continue to trend up (in terms of primary kids coming into the school) - and that they had debated making it permanent in the ad, but decided against it

I re-applied and succeeded, the contract came through recently but on it, it says 'permanent' for emploment type, with a commencement date and no end date listed

Now, if this is deliberate I'm thrilled but I don't know if this is like a clerical error? Nobody told me it was permanent, not even the deputy on the phone offering the position - where do I stand with this?

Do I sign it, send it back and then I'm permanent just like that? can they later withdraw it and claim it was an accident? Would I be wrong to do that, should I query it or something and risk them withdrawing that and sending a new fixed term one? I'm leaning towards sending it but how do I then broach the subject because I feel like I can't celebrate until I know that for sure it's a fixed thing?

Can anyone help?

2. Mr-Mathematics

Mr-Mathematics New commenter

Honesty is the best policy,

Call and ask them to clarify and make it obvious you would love a permanent position, better to convey this in person if you can. Your head might be still going to school daily. They would appreciate and more likely to consider favorably in the future to make you a permanent offer.

It is most likely to be a mistake on their part and if you don't get this resolved it would look bad on your part. Get it sorted asap.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Whilst it sounds like a good problem to have - most people have the opposite problem - it would probably be as well to clarify now that there hasn't been an admin error. "I just want to check the document you have sent me is correct as it is for a permanent pots not a fixed term contract. I am very happy to accept a permanent contract but when we discussed this at interview you had not yet decided whether to make the post a permanent one." Or something like that.

Piranha and strawbs like this.
  4. hdcantona

hdcantona New commenter

I have just noticed the payscale is wrong too so I'm guessing this is sadly a clerical error... - I'm going to phone the person who e-mailed me it - or do I need to ring someone else? the head?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, make the call. Depends who sent it to you but if it was school HR or head's PA speak to them. If just someone clerical in the office speak to the head.

Piranha likes this.
  6. hdcantona

hdcantona New commenter

I have sorted it out - it was a mistake but they also had my pay scale wrong so a good job I phoned tbh

Thanks all