1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post about Search disappeared?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SecondPlace, Jun 11, 2020.

1. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Seems that the recent thread about SA (not the country) has disappeared.

Why would that get removed?

Can't see anything in the forum rules etc. that would mean they can't be mentioned, and given they are used by a number of people it seems unhelpful to remove a thread where people shared their experiences of them.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

A thread discussing the recruitment agency for overseas teachers?

TES T&C bans the naming of agencies so that might be why it was removed (I didn't see it)

You agree that you will not use our Websites (including Services) to:.

• Post content which refers to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means.
    Moderation is reactive so mods don't necessarily notice every post that breaches T&C but they'll still take action if the come across it or it is reported. The mods frequently remove threads that name schools and agencies.

The reason for it is presumably the same as the reason given for banning the naming of schools explained in this post post pinned at the top of this forum

https://community.tes.com/threads/naming-schools.775896/

3. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Well, if it was any agency that complained let's hope they took note of the general drift of the comments as they appeared to give them much to reflect on.

When the TES says the naming of schools/agencies etc is prohibited for legal reasons, it makes me wonder how sites like Trip Advisor work (?). Personally, in the interest of healthy debate, I'd quite like a right of reply for those named; I think all concerned could potentially benefit.

kstainsb likes this.
  4. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Section 230
    The result was Section 230. In 26 short words, the legislation sketched out the future of the internet. The heart of the legislation was a provision that made it clear that online platforms were not responsible for material that their users posted online. “No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider,” it reads.

But equally important is a ‘good samaritan’ clause that gives the platforms the ultimate say over what they do, or do not, allow online.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/section-230-communications-decency-act

SPC2 likes this.
  5. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

6. Rott Weiler

How is section 230 of the US Communications Decency Act relevant to TES, a UK company with a UK-based website?

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

8. Rott Weiler

Thanks for clarification

9. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Thanks, I'd not read the full T+C, rather the short section about Naming Schools you linked to, which says:

Anonymity: Users will not identify (nor describe in a way which could feasibly lead to identification) schools, students or fellow members of the community

I'm still unclear why SA would be a topic to avoid, anymore than the TES jobs section itself, but that's more of a musing on why agencies would be banned, and I'm not disputing what you've shared

Anyway, cheers for the clarification.

10. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

"When the TES says the naming of schools/agencies etc is prohibited for legal reasons"

Actually, it doesn't. From the TES T&C ....

2. Anonymity: Users will not identify (nor describe in a way which could feasibly lead to identification) schools, students or fellow members of the community.

https://community.tes.com/threads/forum-house-rules.725978/

It doesn't mention agencies but I imagine South Africa complained. I guess when the T&C were drawn up, those who wrote them must have decided that there was a real and compelling need to discuss agencies so didn't mention them. There was so much negative stuff about South Africa, however, that they couldn't afford to let discussions amongst adults take place. It's bad for business, assuming they are still in business after C19?

11. Rott Weiler

That isn't the TES T&C. It's 2015 summary of the main points of the forum rules.

The T&C say what I posted in #2

TES's current legal T&C are in the 'Terms of Service' at the bottom of every page

upload_2020-6-11_13-17-52.png
    upload_2020-6-11_13-18-32.png
    upload_2020-6-11_13-19-26.png

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There have been heaps of posts that refer to Search Associates, either directly or indirectly. Therefore this decision to delete a post about SA does seem to be a bit arbitrary.

Incidentally, Harry Deelman, if you happen to be reading this, I want to tank you again for lending me a pair of trousers when the airline lost my luggage prior to the SEARCH fair!

bensball and puggerchris like this.
  13. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

There might not have been a complaint. It might just have been a mod looking at the post and thinking 'not too sure about that, better just delete.' Remember that TES is subject to the UK libel laws.

14. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

Some of the stuff mods do or rather don't do breaks Tes' own rules. There are posters on Personal who constantly insult other posters, rather than discuss the threads, yet mods do not delete these posts, or the posters. It's very sad, because not only does it break the very clear posting guidelines, it stops discussions. I suspect that the mods are happy to see discussions stopped and posters insulted, if they don't hold the same leftist / Corbynister views as themselves.

kstainsb likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Then why don't you report these people who spend all their time insulting you and ask mods to act?