1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post 18 Drama Courses

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by poppycarew, Feb 3, 2011.

1. I have a Year 13 student who, having been wrongly advised to apply to the top universities, has been rejected from all of his choices. He wants to be a drama teacher in a secondary school. I feel he would be a great teacher, given the right training. Could anyone suggest places he might look at? I'm going through directories of universities and colleges, but I'm out of touch with the best courses, and the colleges I trained at have closed!
    Any advice?

2. I have a Year 13 student who, having been wrongly advised to apply to the top universities, has been rejected from all of his choices. He wants to be a drama teacher in a secondary school. I feel he would be a great teacher, given the right training. Could anyone suggest places he might look at? I'm going through directories of universities and colleges, but I'm out of touch with the best courses, and the colleges I trained at have closed!
    Any advice?

3. I've been quite quite a bit of work with Y12/13 on Post-18 drama choices so I may be able to help. What sort of course is he after - ie. what are his strengths/favourite areas of drama? Also, is there a region of the country he's particularly looking at? What are his predicted grades?

4. Hi - thanks for replying. I've only just looked at the forum.
    He is predicted a C, and that's because we're with EdExcel. I think he's better than a C, but we've suffered from the harsh marking with Unit 2.
    He is an all-rounder, extremely enthusiastic, and he's gone for everything we've covered in the course, from naturalism to Berkoff. He is also studying Maths and Biology, and I've noticed some courses which offer these combinations as a Joint Honours BA/BSC with Drama. I don't know how competitive or worthwhile these courses are.
    If you have any advice about courses, I don't think he's fussy about where, and particularly courses which would be useful for a possible PGCE in Drama, I would be very grateful.

5. Thank you all, very helpful.
    My student is now looking at Clearing, or taking a year off. With your advice, I'm going to set him off looking at courses, particularly in the Midlands!
    Teaching drama requires a different set of skills to doing drama, doesn't it.

6. Year out drama is good . Has inks with the rSC. Is based in Stratford

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

For BA drama or theatre studies... Look at Exeter, Lancaster, Manchester, Loughborough, Trinity Camarthen, Aberystwyth.

8. Those are great universities but I think they'll be asking for higher grades than this student will get - C in Drama and others. Certainly the first 4 will be looking at As.

9. I think you're right, Crunchynut.
    I looked at the website for Worcester, and it looks great. Thank you very much for your help.