1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

post 16 teaching

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by saj297, Jul 22, 2011.

1. saj297

saj297 New commenter

I'm a secondary maths teacher, traying to make the move into the post 16 sector. Wherever I have worked, I have been unable to secure teaching post 16 in schools, despite being qualified to do so. The last time I undertook some teaching was during my PGCE 4 years ago.I do a lot of tutoring privately at a-level to keep my suject knowledge up to-date. Any advice on how best to approach applications and how to 'get into' the post 16 sector would be much appreciated.

2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

Be flexible, be prepared to be part time, get a second subject if you can, be willing to do GCSE resit classes in addition to A-level. Be prepared to move to find a job. Make as much as you can of your tutoring experience ("I have taught small groups to A-level in addition to my main school responsibilities") without being dishonest, and give clear positive reasons why you want to move into the sector.