1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post-16 GCSE Unit or Texts

Discussion in 'English' started by TJAMK, Sep 18, 2015.

1. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions/resources for teaching a disaffected E/F level group post-16.

They've done it and 'failed', they don't want to be in English anymore and they're sensitive about 'baby stuff'...

Using Study Plus, but it's a bit dry. Also thinking of a class reader, but budgets, budgets, budgets....

Thank you :)

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

A class reader is an excellent idea. There is a book I think you could try; it is called The Pact written by three doctors in the US who grew up surrounded by drugs and gangs, but managed to get through medical school by their determination and wits. I have not read this myself but glanced through this on Amazon and the language looks accessible. I think it is something that would keep them engaged and you can always combine it with other things.

If you Google The Pact + Three doctors you will find links to the books.

I am planning on buying this book for Christmas presents as it has been on the New York best sellers list and looks like a good read

Let me know what you think.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

PBL. Get them doing something that matters to them and working toward something meaningful. I'm assuming your job is not to prepare them for re-take, but even if it is there are plenty of projects that could motivate them. Feel free to PM to discuss more.

4. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

Thank you for this, will definitley investigate. Truth told my first few lessons have not been wildly successful!

5. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

Thank you; my job IS to prepare them for retake, but not until 2017, so basic literacy, resilience and confidence have been prioritised. I agree PBL - at least for some of the three lessons, just looking for the right P!