1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Post-16 and GCSE

Discussion in 'English' started by Tinkerbell502, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Tinkerbell502

Tinkerbell502 New commenter

I have a 26 year old private student with recent diagnosis of ASD and ADHD who would like to resit his GCSE English Language exam with a view to achieving at least Grade 4 to improve access to studying and better quality full time employment. Does he have to resit GCSE English Literature?

If not, then I assume that he does not have to read any of the optional texts set for English Literature ...

Please advise.
    Thank you.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

No.
    As a tutor, I'm surprised you need to ask.

3. Tinkerbell502

Tinkerbell502 New commenter

Thank you gruoch.
    I don't usually tutor students for GCSE. That is why I asked.
    I wanted to be sure that I had understood and could advise the student correctly.

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

As this student is way past school age, he can enter any combination of subjects he likes. The rule for sitting both GCSE English Language and GCSE English Literature is only for the results to be double-weighted in the league tables (a student can do just one, but it won’t attract the double-weighting).

5. install

install Star commenter

In this event : English Lang retake in November or June the following year is the norm. Its the Eng Lang grade 4 or above that most colleges/employers like to see.