1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possibly not the best idea for a homework task!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Feb 21, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Unless you want lots of negative publicity, that is!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/646041/Guernsey-pupils-convert-Islam-Les-Beaucamp-High-School

Year 8 Pupils at Les Beaucamp High School in Guernsey were asked to explain to their parents “how becoming a pupil has changed your life [and] how much you love your family and hope they can accept your choice”.

Teacher Amber Stables told pupils: “Focus: How would it make you feel having to tell your parents this? How would/could they react?”

Ms Stables added a disclaimer that the homework is a piece of creative writing and fictional.

She said: “YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY CONVERTING TO ISLAM.

“It is purely to test your knowledge of what we have learnt this year and how well you can argue objectively!!!!”

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why not? As long as everyone knows it is a writing exercise, I don't see the problem.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What choice did they have?

4. FrankWolley

Can I just point out what you quoted is the teacher's task, not what I said (or think)!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Did the Express make a typo in the opening paragraph putting 'pupils' instead of 'Muslim'?

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Probably best not to set homeworks based on understanding others' viewpoints - can't be having that now can we?

Makes you wonder if the Daily Excess would have waded in if the conversion had been to Buddhism.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I remember long way back in an RE lesson, we'd done a module on Judaism and we had to write something very similar, explaining why we'd chosen to become a Jew. [I confess in my immature 12 year old way I may have made bacon jokes]

I'm still struggling to see why this is an issue?

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The bacon jokes, d'you mean?

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Sorry, Frank. I didn't mean it to come out like that. I was just pointing out the stupidity of the task and the italics didn't come out in the quote. :(

FrankWolley likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Haha yeah... doesn't everyone love bacon?

[my wife doesn't like bacon :(]

11. FrankWolley

When GCSE History started (late 1980s!) History teachers were faced with teaching 'empathy', and often fell back on the 'imagine you are' type questions. Generally these were poor tasks and - over time - they disappeared from text books, exams, teachers' worksheets etc.

Seems RE has a way to go to catch up (at least in one school, anyway).;)

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well RE is all imaginary so I can see why the task appeals...

Oh no he didn't! Yes he did! Oh no...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

FrankWolley and emerald52 like this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Religious belief is having an imaginary friend. Very soothing if you can do the leap of faith required.

Middlemarch likes this.