1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possibly leaving the teaching profession?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by anon3767, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Evening all,

I am a trained Social Science teacher. I did my PGCE, then a year maternity contract and completed my NQT. Last year I did supply. Since May I've been working at a school part-time.

My school told me recently that they have to reduce my timetable after Easter to only 1 day a week so I decided to hand in my notice - there's no way that I could financially afford to work on 1 day a week and try and get a job for the other days.

Ideally I would like to do something completely different from being a teacher. I previously worked in Road Safety for the local council. I've applied for quite a number of jobs over the past months where I was certain I would get an interview at least but to no avail. I'm wondering what I can do to polish my CV? I'm free on Thursdays and Fridays (supposed to be available for supply but haven't been called since May!). Does anyone think volunteering would be a good idea? Where would I start?

Unfortunately a lot of graduate schemes that I would love to apply for ask for a 2:1 - I (annoyingly) got a 2:2 with 58.5% so only 1.5% from a 2:1. So I am very restricted in what I can actually apply for.

I'm concerned that some of the jobs I've applied for I haven't even got an interview. Not to sound like a snob, but even for ones where the pay is less than the lowest MPS I haven't got an interview. My concern is that they will see I've dedicated over 3 years to teaching and I'm worried I may have 'pigeon-holed' myself.

Does anyone think doing a course would benefit me? Like an OU Business Management course? Any advice or solutions would be much appreciated. I don't even know where to begin!

2. Hi,

Thank you very much for your response. Maybe I should show someone else my application forms. One feedback recently said the same about my temporary jobs - quite disappointing really because, had I not taken on those roles, I would have been unemployed for the last few years which would look even worse on my CV - swings and roundabouts really :O(

I am interested in PM'ing you for the graduate schemes - thank you.

I'm in the East Midlands - I know unemployment is one of the worst levels in the country here.

PS x