1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible wrong choice of headteacher?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by topsee, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Hypothetically speaking, if the Governors choose a headteacher that no member of staff agrees with due to conflicting ethos of school, personality and hearsay from previous employee of this head, is there anything at all that can be done? e.g vote of no confidence.

2. Hypothetically speaking, if the Governors choose a headteacher that no member of staff agrees with due to conflicting ethos of school, personality and hearsay from previous employee of this head, is there anything at all that can be done? e.g vote of no confidence.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

4. Hypothetically speaking, if the head teacher chooses a class teacher that no
    pupil agrees with due to setting too much homework,
    personality and hearsay from previous children in the teacher's class, is there
    anything at all that can be done? e.g vote of no confidence.

5. I actually think that you are quite arogant ajnorman, this is quite a sensitive issue and hopefully that class would only be stuck with the rubbish teacher for a year! Parents would intervene SMT etc and something would be done . Children should not have to put up with a poor teacher and yes there would be something that could be done. And as for homework you are totally missing the point, It is not about how much work that head would set staff ,the staff are very hardworking and everyone who has ever been in the school has commented on how dedicated and enthusiastic the staff are.

6. Do you know what "hypothetical" means?

7. Presumably when the Governors appointed this hypothetical HT they had decided what they were looking for to meet what they wanted for their school. Their Person Specification and interviews etc. will have been put together to choose someone who could deliver what they wanted. They should also have made clear what their expectations were. If they have chosen wrongly then they need to tackle that, and work with their HT, making clear what direction they wish to be going in and why. You would need to have evidence to support any views, as it may be that the HT is not popular if s/he has identified areas that need addressing. The staff may not be the best judge of what is required for the school, as they may not like change if they have been set in their ways. There are a lot of issues underlying this question which need looking at. If the HT was incompetent you would have to follow set procedures beginning with giving the HT a chance to put things right.

8. Thank you Polar Pup.

9. Duh....

10. Hypothetically --might this problem HT's behaviour be described by the OP here
    <h3>Is your boss a psychopath or a narcissist</h3>If there is a significant match, then it might be worth revisiting the hypothetical HT's claims made on the application form - qualifications - experience etc. I'd be surprised if there was not something of relevance here that might be of use to someone who was genuinely interested in what was really best for the school.
    I have often suggested that the wrong people get the big jobs and that people who are making the employment decisions should be aware of how people with either Antisocial or Narcissistic Personality disorders can pull the wool over the eyes of interview panels.

11. Has the Interview and selection been made yet. In some schools the Local auhority has the power to veto an appointment.

12. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

Hypothetically a19pb the HT might be suffering from your obsessive topic of huindreds of postings, but then again, purely hypothetically, the HT might have problems fitting into the school because he is from the planet Zog with two heads and the panel were too stupid to notice.

13. I think the personality disorder is the more likely explaination -- One in Thirty and all that -- One in Four in promoted posts.
    Planet Zog - that's simply unbelievable.

Possibly the OP will further enlighten us.

14. The headteacher has the appointment and she accepted. The school was gobsmacked and raised lots of questions e.g which other profession lets unqualified people choose your job. Clearly the potential head can pull the wool over their eyes. But apparently nothing can be done, but the powers that be have said there are measures in place to stop immediate dramatic changes taking place. So for the first year at least we should be safe in our jobs.
    Thank you for your helpful replies.

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

hmmmmm

did the local authority adviser not approve the candidates?

16. I think the local authority adviser only has power to advise in these cases. I am pretty sure the final decision does rest with the governors.
    Sounds as if there is much more to this then we have heard.

17. The local authority has the power to veto the appointment. I have heard of a case in which the Director of Education wouldnt allow the school to appoint a permanent head teacher, saying that they didnt have enough money in their budget.

18. Which profession lets people appoint their own boss? It's quite common that in other professions people will be appointed by managers, rather than by people who share their profession. I was appointed by three professors, none of them able to administer a computer network or write a program.
    One of the things I've learned over the last few years is how little many teachers know about what is involved in managing a school. I think it's probable that most governors have a much better idea about that than most teachers.
    Local authority advisors are there to advise only - but my understanding is that ultimately the local authority has the right to refuse to employ the appointed head teacher if the advisor reports back to say the panel made a perverse choice. Presumably in academies (and perhaps church schools?) that safeguard isn't present.

19. >>if the Governors choose a headteacher that no member of staff agrees with due to conflicting ethos of school, personality and hearsay from previous employee of this head>>
    Having just done HT recruitment as a Governor - we did take it very seriously. I would be very surprised if the panel did not ask about the candidates proposed ethos for the school - it may differ to the current one, but presumably that would then have been a conscious decision by the panel - perhaps they believe the school ethos needs to change?
    The panel is looking for a HT who will be good for the children (in terms of progress, behaviour, etc). They do consider how they will get on with the current staff, but there are times when a different style of Head is needed to push the school forward. Hearsay is just that - it may be that that person clashed with the Head, it does not mean the Head should not be employed.
    Working in a school that has recently had a change of Head, I also know what it is like for the staff when someone comes in with a different way of working and new ideas.
    Staff can always leave and find another job if they really cannot work with the new Head.

20. You say that the staff don't support the appointment. What were the staff governors doing on interview day?The whole point of having staff govs is to have an input on important decisions like this. The rest of the staff should have elected the staff govs. If the staff were against this appointment then the staff govs could have prevented it. I know who I'd be blaming.