1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cc2lwa, Jan 26, 2017.

1. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Hi

What is your opinion?
    If the agency asks you to attend a school to mid day to have a chat about a possible job, should you be paid some form of remuneration?
    I will be missing a day's supply work opportunity so I wonder if I should ask the agency about this..
    Thanks

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If it were me and I was looking for something a little more permanent then I'd go.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Could you ask the agency to ask the school if you could come tomsee them after school instead of the middle of the day? To miss a day's work is quite a lot. However, if it something permanent and you are interested, you may need to fit your schedule around the school's.

les25paul and Landofla like this.
  4. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

From morning to midday is slightly more than a chat. Check to make sure that doesn't include an observation or any teaching. If I wanted the role, then I'd go willingly.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If I have gone in for an interview along with an observed lesson then I have always been paid for it. I expect that the agency get some sort of fee for providing candidates for interview. They have sent me to some even when they knew I wasn't looking for had any intention of accepting a post .

An informal chat is something different, it usually means that (unless you are totally unsuitable) the post is yours and they are going to brief you in with whats required. If you want this post then it might be worth losing some money.

Asking for a time to chat after the school day is a good idea, I've done that before and got the job.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Thanks a lot, yes I think that the post is mine, it is just annoying that I may lose a full days pay. Never mind, i have decided to just go and grin and bear it ha. Thanks again.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A lost day's pay compared to lots of day's pay is nothing in the long term.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

if you have nothing else on that day, you might as well go along to see what, if anything, is on offer. Agencies try and get you to do unpaid work by telling you that it is a trial day for an long term position but you wont find out if this is the case unless you go along. If you get three hours standing in front of a class and no chat, you have your answer.

9. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

My agency booked me in for an interview and 30 minute lesson. They were really good because they got me a morning slot on a day that I already had a pre booked half day and informed them I need to be out ASAP.
    It genuinely was interview style, not unpaid teaching. I'm beginning to trust my agency, well one of them.
    If you've got nothing else on, and could do with the longer contract on offer I'd risk it.

10. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

Sorry, I should learn to read ALL posts...I see you're going. Good luck.