1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible to return to teaching after 10years or is qts out of date?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Racheldnorris, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Racheldnorris

Racheldnorris New commenter

Hello!
    I am a fully qualified secondary English teacher who taught for 4 years, then moved house / area of country and changed career to a youth work/ young persons careers adviser, and I ve been doing that for the past 10 years. (I have done teaching of careers in schools and other pshe/ issues based teaching work in my current job ) . However, I think I've gone as far as I can do in this job now, with the government cuts I am constantly under threat of redundancy and no chance of progression, in fact have just had a pay cut, my senior post was eradicated and might get another pay cut next year.
    5 years ago I looked to get back into teaching and went on this forum and was told 'No Chance if you have had 10 years out of teaching as your qualification runs out after 10 years ' so I gave up. However, I've googled a few bits now, and saw somewhere that the rules may have changed? I'd love to go back to teaching, I have had experience in other fields including management, dealing with vulnerable young people, child protection, etc etc but is it all for naught? I suppose I could do teaching assistant job, but I feel it's a waste of my training and capability. Many thanks for any advice. Here's hoping....

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Gullo @Racheldnorris

Untrue. It is valid for ever.

No, rule hasn't changed - it was always valid for ever!

The problem may be persuading someone that you are a suitable teacher after all that time out - doing supply teaching would allow you to prove that, but financially it is a bit dicey, of course.

On the plus side, English is now a shortage subject . . . teachers are in demand,especially in S.E

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

In some ways you have picked a good time to go back to teaching Secondary English since the curriculum is changing together with how the English is examined at GCSE.

As Theo suggests, supply would be a way for you to ease yourself back into teaching without the pressure of marking and planning; that way you could have a good look around at different schools and get to know some of the staff in departments. Financially it is a gamble, but depending on where in the country you are, you might be able to earn enough if you combine it with private tutoring or something else and you have a partner who brings in additional income.

If you have been reading these forums for any length of time, you will know the pressures teachers are under and behaviour is a challenge in some schools. If you are rusty in behaviour management, I would suggest you think about doing an online course as a refresher. Pivotal Education do some excellent ones which you can do online and they are very reasonably priced.

If you do decide to go the supply route, instead of contacting agencies, contact schools directly and tell them what you have to offer. If you are willing to learn about the primary curriculum, you could also do primary teaching. Supply would be a good way for you to work at primary schools to see if it is for you. You could start with say years 5 and 6.

There is a lot of advice and information on the supply forums if you decide to take the plunge. Beware though, supply isn't a secure source of income and it really depends on where you are in the country. You could post and say the general area of the country you are in and see what other posters may be getting in terms of days. October is usually a bit slow but it should pick up after half term.

Many supply teachers combine supply with private tutoring or running part time businesses. So you may be able to find a mix of things to do.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I am curious why even though you moved you left teaching. If it was the stress of the job, this is now greater. Teaching as a career has changed, and especially in the last 10 years. The conditions you left nolonger exist. I enjoyed my career as a teacher, but I wouldn't start down this path now. think very carefully before you make the move, could be from the frying pan into the fire.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks Theo.

Sorry about all the questions, but how do I get an avatar?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thank you again...shall see if Imcan work it out.

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks...think I have almost figured it out. Now to find my avatar.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks Theo...It wasn't that difficult finding it and it is a lot better than the Martians. I laugh every time I look at it, so it can't be bad and hope it makes others laugh as well with all the stress of teaching people are having to deal with.

12. Racheldnorris

Hello there, thank you for your help. Yes you are right. I did move from down south to 'up north' but I also was aware of how stressful the job was, and an opportunity to work still in schools but in a more careers advisory/ youth work / group work capacity came up, and I took the plunge to have a go at another career whilst I had the chance. At the time I wasn't sure whether doing a job that was that stressful was worth continuing for the rest of my life without trying something else! I had very unsupportive, uncommunicative colleagues, and there were terrible politics. You are right, I have been out of it for a long time now ( in another job and whilst having children) are things even worse now? Please expand further.i may very we'll be looking back with rose tinted glasses and it is a big decision to leave my current job or take VR even if I am not pushed out by corporate redundancy first. Many thanks.

13. Racheldnorris

Many tha

14. Racheldnorris

Many thanks for your reply - I feel like there is hope now that I can still get a job, access a decent profession and continue to work with young people even if I am made redundant. It's really good news. Just one more question ( I've already asked this to another contributor on here, but this iPad is playing up terribly so apologies if I am repeating myself, it won't do what I want it to) I have seen a vacancy saying '2 terms in the first instance' does this mean maternity or does it mean probation for 2 terms then we get rid of you and re advertise if your not up to scratch with a willing pool of fresh faced cheaper newbies in September? Thanks for your help

15. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@Racheldnorris my advice is to have a good read of posts on Workplace Dilemmas. They paint a fairly bleak picture. However, there are still some good schools with fair and supportive head teachers running them. Although, these seem to be getting fewer by the day.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Could be either, but more likely that they are not sure if they will have the money to continue the post next year.