1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible to drop QTS but still attain PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by benpthompson, Feb 28, 2018.

1. benpthompson

benpthompson New commenter

I'm 2 weeks into my second placement and have finally worked out that teaching just isn't for me (at least in the UK anyways). I would drop it all right now but I've achieved consistently high grades in all the university based assignments, so I'm slightly apprehensive to let that go to waste. I was just wondering if you or anyone you know has dropped the QTS segment by not completing the placement periods yet still attained their PGCE through completing all the necessary university assignments? Would really appreciate some anecdotes to see if this is even possible at all. Thanks a lot

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes it is as the PGCE is an academic qualification conferred by a university and QTS is conferred by DfE as a separate element contained within it and based on your teaching practices. However if you do not pass the teaching element of a qualification then schools ( wherever they are located) would question your teaching ability?
    if you want to work overseas then you should look at gaining a EFL qualification to help qualify you for opportunities overseas. Suggest you talk with the careers service in your university for more advice and information.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Anecdotes won’t help. You need to speak to your university. It will be a matter governed by, or resolved through, their regulations.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

This is correct. We have QTS within a unit meaning you need to complete the unit to be awarded the credits for that unit. To get a PGCE you will need 60 credits at L7. If the QTS is in a non-L7 unit you could get your 60 credits.

Even without the PGCE, you will still be awarded the credits at M level and these can be APLEd into a future course.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

APLEd being -accredited prior learning?

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

That’s right.