1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible to do private tutoring??

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by dandyr, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hiya,
    I have a degree in Primary and Secondary Science Education. Is it at all possible for me to go into private tutoring? How would I go about doing this?
    Many Thanks

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

No reason why not. The main demand is for english and maths at primary level at least. You have a choice really of registering with an agency or just trying to get your own clients.

3. okies thanks for this, I thought tutors needed QTS to do tutoring; this is something I dont have at the moment.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No it's an unregulated industry. QTS and having teaching experience certainly helps in that you know the curriculum and understand levels.
    Getting started - a bit of advertising in a local paper got me started, Then word of mouth which has been my main source.

5. earlybirdtutors

earlybirdtutors New commenter

Hi Dandyr,
    I tutor full time and I do well from tutoring. I don't have QTS.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    I am setting up a website if you are interested in registering in the near future.
    Early Bird Tutors

6. Thanks for your replies! Are there lots of agencies out there that do tutoring jobs like?

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

There are quite a few out there but I have never used them. Signed up to one but realised that once they took their cut it was barely worth doing the work.If I remember rightly they wanted to charge £4.95 for every session and they had bands of tuition fees meaning that i could charge up to about £20. So, a fiver for them, some for the tax man and petrol and materials costs would have left me with about a tenner a session.