1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible to be 'talented' in MFL?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mpc, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mpc

mpc

I've also posted this on the G & T forum but would be very grateful for any advice.
    Up until this point, we've termed our very able students who show aptitiude in a number of subject areas 'gifted' and our students who have a particular linguistic aptitue 'talented'.
    A new colleague has pointed out that this may be incorrect as talented would seem to apply only to PE, Music, Drama etc.
    Can anyone give me any further guidance?
    Many thanks,
    mpc [​IMG]

2. mpc

mpc

I've also posted this on the G & T forum but would be very grateful for any advice.
    Up until this point, we've termed our very able students who show aptitiude in a number of subject areas 'gifted' and our students who have a particular linguistic aptitue 'talented'.
    A new colleague has pointed out that this may be incorrect as talented would seem to apply only to PE, Music, Drama etc.
    Can anyone give me any further guidance?
    Many thanks,
    mpc [​IMG]

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm no expert, but surely 'talented' means 'to have an aptitude for' & most definitely one can have an aptitude for languages.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

....and gifted means the same thing!
    I can see the point of providing extra sessions of (optional) challenging activities for those held back in the mixed ability classroom in academic subjects (predominantly) but I fail to see the need in subjects like PE. Those who are skilled at sport, for instance, already have the opportunity to attend practice sessions for school teams.
    To be honest, when I'm at a school on supply and get to know who some of the G &T pupils are, I'm usually more convinced of their mediocrity. I've covered lessons with pupils predicted an A or A* at MFL GCSE, who are on the school's G& T register,and who couldn't identify a verb or an adverb to save their lives.

5. My 6 year old son has been identified as G and T for spanish! He receives an extra lesson a week with a native spanish teacher. He loves it!!

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Shouldn't the ones who are struggling with Spanish be getting the extra input?

7. He tells me it is for doing 'extra' vocab, and is progressing well. As I am a French graduate, my knowledge of Spanish is not great, but I am just so pleased he is keen! He has been so confident on our last few holidays.

8. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Do you mean "instead of" or "as well as" the G and T ones, Jubilee ?

9. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I definitely think that some people are "hard-wired" to be better at languages. There is talent involved, but you can't get anywhere without the desire to work at it, and that's where the gifted comes into play as well. IMHO!

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Perhaps everyone should have the extra input, lengthening the school day (or the school year) and keeping parents extra happy too!

11. Yes IMHO too, absolutely. I got classed as "gifted/talented " whatever you like to call it when I was at school because I got up to A level standard French by the time we were in Year 8. But was that because I was somehow more special than everyone else in the class or simply because I spent hours and hours every night happily self-motivated to read French, learn words and listen to the French radio? Maybe G& T or T or G or whatever are testament to Oscar Wilde's 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration?

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

How can hard work and determination be termed gifted or talented? A gift , or talent, is something that you receive (are born with), not something you become through hard work.
    You may waste your gifts and talents, of course, and achieve less than someone less gifted and talented who works hard to achieve success.

13. My school has recently changed it's G & T to either gifted (academic subject) and talented (creative subject).

14. mpc

mpc

Thank you to you all for your comments - very interesting.