1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible timetable for year 1 to make use of continuous provision

Discussion in 'Primary' started by glitzandglam, Nov 1, 2008.

1. <font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Ok, well after lots of failed attempts at structuring my year 1 class like foundation stage, i think i may now have worked out the best way. Here is what i am hoping to do bearing in mind i have a TA every morning until 12. The planning is based on having an hour and a half for literacy everyday, to include letters and sounds 4 days of the week. We will be following the strategy 3 times a week, with an input for news once a week as well as a dedicated writing session. We also feel that we need to have a slot for teaching grammar and punctuation, as well as reinforcing these ideas everyday in literacy work. I would appreciate any thoughts/ feedback. Thanks.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">For literacy and numeracy, children will be divided into 4 ability groups.with Group 1 being the highest attaining.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Monday</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>9:00-9:30 Oral and written news</u> </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 1+2 with class teacher</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 3+4 with TA (these children may only be drawing their news and TA writes matching sentence)</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>9:30 - 10:00 Grammar / Punctuation Lesson</u></font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 1+2 with TA</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 3+4 with class teacher</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>10:00 - 10:30 Letters and Sounds</u></font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 1+2 with classroom teacher either 15 mins each group or both groups together. if doing 15 mins each, other group can be using the contiuous provision.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 3+4 with TA and same idea as above.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>10:50 - 12:00 Numeracy</u></font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Either whole class mental maths for 10 minutes or TA with half class and class teacher with half class,</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 1+2 with TA for half hr each while other group uses continuous provision.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 3+4 with class teacher for half hr each while other group uses continuous provision.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday</u></font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>9:00 - 9:20 Letters and Sounds</u> </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Same idea as Monday, TA works with groups that class teacher worked with on Monday either for 10 mins each group or 20 mins with both groups together. Class teacher works with other 2 groups.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">9:20 - 10:30 Literacy - following the strategy units.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">10-15 mins input as whole class using text.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 1+2 with class teacher for half hour each while other group uses continuous provision.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 3+4 with TA for half hour each while other group uses continuous provision.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>10:50 - 12:00 Numeracy</u></font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">As Monday but again, teacher takes different groups from Monday and TA takes other 2 groups.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>Friday</u></font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>9:00 - 10:30 Writing - linked to the unit for literacy</u></font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 1+2 with TA for 45 minutes each, other children use continous provision</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Group 3+4 with class teacher for 45 minutes each, other children use continuous provision.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><u>10:50 - 12:00 Numeracy</u></font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">As other days.</font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">This means that on a monday for literacy children will have 3 half hour sessions, swapping between TA and class teacher. On a Tuesday, wednesday and thursday they will have phonics time along with a half hour adult focused activity and a half hour using the provision of their choice..On a Friday they will have a 45 minutes of continuous provision and 45 minutes for an adult led writing session. In numeracy they will have a half hr of continuous provision everyday as well as a half hr with TA or teacher doing a focused activity. I think this may work. Obviously we might not always be able to stick to the hour and a half everyday for lietracy etc as things go on in school that cause changes to be made..but i think its a step in the right direction??? Guided reading is slotted in school straight after lunch for 20 mins, this is a whole school thing so i cant change that time. Let me know what people think????</font></font>

2. Stupid TES...no idea why its now all squashed together, if you look on early years my post is all laid out so that it makes sense..it appears to have jumped together when i copied it from early years to primary, Sorry!

3. Am in my second year of teaching Year 1 and having a re-think on my timetable to include group work and continuous provision. Was thinking something along the lines of what you have been discussing above and I was wondering how you got on with this timetable last year? Are you working the same way this year or taking another approach. Would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Here's how I'm planning to run my morning - hopefully it will work!!
    9.00-9.30 assembly
    9.30-9.45 whole class literacy input
    9.45-10.05 1 grp with TA, 1 grp with me, 3 grps CP
    10.05-10.25 1 grp with me, 1 grp with TA, 3 grps CP
    10.25-10.45 phonics session
    11.00 - 11.15 whole class numeracy input
    11.15-11.35 1 grp with TA, 1 grp with me, 3 grps CP
    11.35 - 11.55 1 grp with TA, 1 grp with me, 3 grps CP

5. Hi comenius,
    Is it working?
    Are you following the new frameworks for literacy and numeracy?
    Who does your guided reading? When do you do it? How many groups a day?
    Do you have a play time?
    Does any one oversee the CP?
    How many children do you have?
    Sorry to ask so many question. I have just been told I need to consolidate my lit into an hour and num into an hour each day instead of a lit morning then a num morning. Does any one have any other ideas I can share?
    Rather worried about this because been doing alternate mornings for 2 years now. Not sure where to start, I came from nursery so not sure about lit and num hours anymore.
    HELP- please!!!!

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

My days are running brilliantly - I was quite surprised!!! My timetable has changed slightly as playtime changed, so it is now:
    9.30 - 9.45 literacy input
    9.45 - 10.30 literacy groups (2 with me 20 mins each and 2 with TA 20 mins each, the rest access CP)
    10.30 - 10.45 playtime
    10.45 - 11.00 numeracy input
    11.00 - 11.35 numeracy groups (as for literacy)
    11.40 - 12.00 phonics (3 groups running)
    I follow the numeracy framework, but came away from the literay framework this half term and it is so much better!!! I'm running a creative skills based curriculum and the literacy framework just didn't work.
    On a Friday morning I do no literacy or numeracy, instead it is a reading morning. I gave a parent who listens to readers, a fantastic TA who does the guided reads and I listen to individual readers too.
    I have 5 literacy and 5 numeracy groups, it means they get 3 adult led sessions of numeracy and 3 of literacy a week plus a guided read and individual read.
    No one oversees the continuous provision activities. I explain on a Monday morning what is available for that week and they just get on and use it.
    I have 30 in the class, there are 6 in each group so there are always 12 working with an adult and 18 accessing cp.
    Some of my planning is here https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6026174
    There is weekly topic, literacy and numeracy - it might give you a starting point for your planning.
    Let me know if I can be of any further help!

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

Hi my timetable has changed since I last posted! I no longer have a morning break (the children have continuous access to outdoors so don't need a break) and don't have separate lessons. I run English and Maths groups alongside each other from 9.30 until 11.40 when we do phonics so I don't have separate activities for the subjects but make sure most areas have activities that support Maths and English.
    I don't think you could link areas to literacy in those lessons and numeracy in those could you? You'd be spending all day swapping activities around, I don't think it would be manageable.
    My areas link to the topic but I have Maths and English challenges in some of the areas eg paint a flower 19 cm tall, can you make a flower with double the number of petals?, design and build a garden then write a poster advertising it.
    I usually have 6 challenges a week that they have to complete, 2 topic, 2 English and 2 Maths.
    Would your smt accept your areas linked to topic if you showed that their were Maths and English opportunities in them too?

8. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Just wanted to say comenius I love reading your posts about CP in Year 1, as you explain how it can work so clearly.
    Just wondering though, do your children go outside unsupervised? Do you have a limit on how many children are allowed outside at a time? Just asking because I'm often in Year 1 without a TA and I don't let them use outside if I'm on my own.
    Also how do you train your children to do the passport activities correctly without adult supervision? How do they prove that they have done them? Do they stay on task while you are working with your groups?

9. comenius

comenius New commenter

Sorry about lack of paragraphs in earlier post - I did it on the ipad!
    I'm really lucky that I have 2 TA's every morning and for 3 afternoons which means that 1 adult is always in the outdoor area (I can't let them go out unsupervised because the outdoor area is down a corridor and through the cloakroom, not in sight of the classroom, the 2 afternoons where there are only 2 of us we don't open the outside area) 1 adult does english groups and 1 does maths groups. As many children as want can use the outdoor area and they can come and go as they please (as long as they aren't needed for group work).
    At the start of the year one adult is in a 'floating' role for the first month/half term and support children doing the challenges showing them what is expected, how to use the cameras to take photos, put a smile on the chart etc. I have a 'challenge wall' where good work is displayed. If they have done a challenge they put a smile by their name on the chart for that challenge and put the work on my chair or if it's not 'paper' work they use the digital camera/ipad to take a photo or leave their work with their name on. They know that if the challenge work isn't their best then they will be asked to do it again or to improve it. I try to make time each day to show the challenge work and give lots of praise.
    All the children know they have to complete the challenges each week, it's up to them when they do them. Some do them all on the Monday, others do a few a day and of course there is the odd one who doesn't start until Friday and needs nagging!! Because they choose when to do the challenges not staying on task isn't a problem. Some can interrupt group work because they want to show their challenge work there and then but they know if they put it to one side and it has their name on then it will be safe until I have time to look at it.
    Monday we do guided read so I don't do a whole class input instead I spend 10/15 minutes introducing the challenges and ensuring they are clear what is expected that week. I remind them about the challenges a couple more times duing the week, usually on a Wednesday if some haven't done any yet.

10. Thank you for your sample planning. I am trying to change the way YearR/One is currently set up. Do you have examples of how this style of timtable and planning would look in the summer term - to ensure progression and extension.

11. comenius

comenius New commenter

My timetable and planning looks the same all year round! I'm sure there's a phrase for how we work but I can't think of it!! Basically EYFS don't 'get ready' for year 1 in the summer term, year 1 works in a similar way to EYFS and like wise I don't get my year 1's 'ready' for year 2, instead the year 2 teacher works in a similar way to year 1 for the first few weeks.
    The children do work more independnetly in the summer term though.

12. Hello!

I am moving from FS to year 1 in September. I am really looking forward to the children continuing their FS learning and intend to carry on with them learning through play. HOWEVER, I am having massive timetabling issues, I only have TA support for half a morning each day, which doesn't really allow me enough time for the children work in groups/continuous provision. Has anyone got any ideas?!?! Help!! I really am starting to feel disheartened about it all, and I am worried the children will have to do boring old whole class work all the time! :( If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate them!
    Thank you

13. Hi,

I have read lots of your posts on Year 1 CP with great interest and I wondered if you could tell me a little more about your challenges and how you organise them. Do they stay the same all week? Do you have these as well as your CP activities? Thanks

14. olo

olo

Hi, i know this is an old post but could i have some of your sample planning please this sounds amazing!!!

liz.pallett.123@gmail.com

many thanks x

15. comenius

comenius New commenter

I have at least 6 challenges a week in the areas of provision. I have the same challenges all week and then they change, I introduce the challenges first thing on a Monday morning and then the children choose when in the week they want to complete them. They know that the challenges have to be done by Friday lunchtime. Friday afternoon I take away the old challenges and set up the new ones ready for the following week.
    The challenges are in addition to the areas of provision and are ususlly found in the areas, for example next week in construction we have the straws and there is a challenge to build the tallest tower they can for the superheroes to climb. They can still use the straws however they want to, as long as they complete that challenge at some point in the week.

16. lukesmum

lukesmum Occasional commenter

I have examples of planning from when I taught year one. If you click on my username it should take you to them.

Lukesmum

17. cally4

cally4 New commenter

Could you post an example plan of a typical weeks planning? How do you fit in ICT/PE etc? Do you do whole class teaching at all now? I am struggling to get my day sorted for CP.

18. comenius

comenius New commenter

I don't really have a typical weeks planning! Mornings are always the same - english, maths and phonics (except for Friday morning when we are timetabled PE, this is followed by english/maths and phonics). My other PE is on Thursday afternoon and taught by PPA teacher and the music.
    Afternoons vary hugely depending on the topic and also week by week. Some weeks we might do no ICT, others no science etc but over the year everything gets covered.
    I have put some planning in resources but it's quite old and I plan differently now. If you can wait until half term I'll be putting my Frozen Planet planning in resources otherwise if you PM me your e-mail I can send you a couple of weeks now.
    I don't do any whole class teaching except for 5/10 mins english input. Mornings I have englisha nd maths groups running side by side with other using CP and outdoors. This lasts 9.30 to 11.40 (no break) when we have phonics. In the afternoon we do 5 mins handwriting and then topic, 2 groups working rest using CP and outdoors.