1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible threat of violence to HT - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TAWren, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Firstly, I need to clarify, the HT in question is at my child's school, not the one I work at.

The comments were made on FB, and I *think* in jest, but can I really be sure? The person who made the comments is a FB friend of mine, a parent at school. She added me as a friend after I gave her some old VHS tapes for her children. (she had asked for some on a FB selling page)

The original comment was a status about how angry she was that the Head had refused a term time holiday request, she said she was 'on the warpath'. One of her friends commented that she should 'hit him', she replied 'I will'.

Now I don't know the HT very well, and I am not convinced there is a real threat, so should I keep quiet or tell him? i have printed the FB conversation out in case he doesn't believe me.

Advice, please!

Wren

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Heck Wren. That's such a hard one. I don't have FB so don't really know how it works. Were you part of the conversation or just a "witness"?
    I think you need to either tell the HT or the police but I'm not sure of the legalities of your situation. If something did happen to the HT you'd feel terrible if you'd kept quiet, wouldn't you? If it was two kids talking about hitting another child you wouldn't think twice about reporting it, would you?
    If you're worried about putting yourself at risk could you just annonymously deliver the printouts to the HT?
    Good luck with this.

3. I was part of the conversation before those comments were made, I'd asked where she was going on holiday, then tried to explain that missing 2 weeks of school is not the same as having a 6 week school sumer holiday!

so I couldn't do it annonymously as my name is on it! (I think I am the only other Mum frome that school who commented, so it won't be hard to make the connection!)

it is a hard one as I do think it was a joke.... Hmmm...

Wren

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Well, Wren, if you think it was a joke then treat it as such and forget all about it.
    If you are actually friends with either lady you could suggest that their comments could been seen as a threat but if you aren't real friends then don't bother.

5. Thanks for the reply.
    I am not really friends with the mum in question, but do see her at school pick up if I'm not working (I do supply). In fact I saw her in town today, and pretended I hadn't seen her.
    I think I will keep stum (is that a word? lol) unless I hear reports that a parent assulted the HT!!!
    Thanks
    Wren

6. Sounds like a sensible course of action! I think if I'd actually done half of the things I'd said I was going to while in a grump on Facebook there would be no Job Centre employees or bus drivers in my particular neck of the woods...

7. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

I'm sure its meant as a 'smack my handbag at him' slapstick jokey sort of way!

I agree with previous postings, if everyone reported everyting people said on FB then society would grind to a halt!