1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible SEN child???

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by ExploringDora, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hi all, just looking for any advice about a pupil in my nursery class, i have my own ideas about him but wondering what anybody else can suggest. The boy will be 4 in January but very often poos or wees himself and doesnt seem to have any idea that hes done it. His mum says he is too shy to ask to go the toilet. His physical development is very delayed, his wrists are extremely stiff. has poor fine motor control. Cannot hold a pencil properly. he goes into his own world during group stories and music time, starts using his hands to play lions and cars etc, but is completely cut off from what is going on around him. Has lack of communication with adults and peers, makes lots of funny noises, tongue is always out of his mouth and he dribbles alot. Went on a trip the other day, and he was completely lost, the activity was very interactive, the children were free to press buttons, play on their own, all the other children were very involved, he stood there, head down looking at the floor, playing with his hands,. I tried to encourage him to participate but he resisted, shaking his head and still playing with his fingers. he will not make eye contact. I know its difficult to make judgements without actually seeing the child, but would be grateful for anybodys opinions. As i said at the start, i have my own ideas about what could be up with him but maybe i am off the wrong track, maybe it could be something else. Have spoken to his mum about his toileting and his hand movements and she says he is shy so wont ask to go to the toilet, and he uses his hands in that way when he is dancing.. For a 4 year old he is completely lost within the class, and will only get further away from the rest of the group. Any ideas, and the best way forward now?? Am not in England so dont have a SENCO but i do want the mum to start to realise that this is not shyness. There is no way i can see him coping in reception, and am worried about the prospects of him if the mum doesnt accept it soon.

2. What about his speech? What is he like if you try and draw him into the group? It sounds very much same scenario of child I had a few weeks ago who was tested for ASD.I am in same position as you-working abroad with no SEN support.

3. His mum says he communicates well at home, not perfect but fine. But in school it looks as if he is talking with his peers until you really observe him then realise he is just making sounds and noises. He really finds it difficut to join in with adult led activities, he isnt willing to have a go. During child initiated play, if i go and join in with him he doesnt do anything, he just sits and watches. He is able to talk in sentences in his own language sometimes, but he doesnt do it often, he tries to stick by one particular peer who is also very immature for his age. he just isnt at the right level to interact with the rest of the group, they are more advanced than he is, they look at him when he is waving his arms around as if to say ´what are you doing´. His mum says he goes home and is always talking about me and school, but i do find this difficult to believe. He only communicates with me when i ask him something individually or when i insist he says good morning.

4. Ask his mother to come and spend a day with him at school. Perhaps this is her first child and she has nothing to compare him to. Perhaps she is deeply into denial and needs support to see the real problems. What institutional help can you access? Have you talked about this to your head teacher? This child has huge problems and unless you can get his parents onboard nothing will get done.

5. Is it possible for you to voice your concerns to your head of department. If you think there might be a problem- then you have to think of the welfare of the child and where you go from here. Is your setting the best place for him? Can you provide one to one without support, if he should need that. The child I had who was diagnosed as being ASD also chattered away in his own language-some words were partially clear but not all. Mum also told me that he loved me and was always talking about me. I was not able to cope with the tantrums and was afraid he would hurt himself-mum said he was stubborn and needed a firm hand. You instinctively know if something is not right and you are only thinking of the child's welfare and what is the best for him.

6. He needs to be seen by a child development paediatricion, to be assessed for a number of development delay conditions (including ASD and Dyspraxia)

But this is probably something his family have to organise via their GP, and not something you can help with.

You could however give his family a list of concerns you have which you'd like them to discuss with their GP.