1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible redundancy and currently on Maternity leave help appreciated

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MFL69, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Many thanks for taking the time to read this....
    Firstly I LOVE my job. I work FT and have a TLR within school doing a job that is rewarding and that I feel I am valued at. However since going on maternity leave Ive had a letter (which has been sent to all staff) inviting me to attend a collective consultation meeting ref redundancy.

My 1st child is due the end of this month and to be honest this couldnt have come at a more stressful time.....if there is ever a decent time. I understand that my colleagues are all in the same boat and feel for them also.

So I have a few questions....Ive trawled the net but not had much joy.

1) I understand a teacher isnt 'protected' just because they are on Mat leave (acceptable) but what would the notice period be?

2) would I, in the devastating event of being made redundant, have to re-pay the Add mat leave money (12 wks half pay)? i know some schools agree to let the person keep this money.

3) Would I still be allowed to claim SMP even if made redundant? Worked at current school for some 4 yrs prior.

4) what sort of settlement could I expect? Is it £380 per yr service?

5) when do redundancy payments normally come through?

Sorry for all the questions and I pray this doesnt happen but ofcourse with a child, need to be prepared for the absolute worst!

Kind regards,
    M

2. Many thanks for taking the time to read this....
    Firstly I LOVE my job. I work FT and have a TLR within school doing a job that is rewarding and that I feel I am valued at. However since going on maternity leave Ive had a letter (which has been sent to all staff) inviting me to attend a collective consultation meeting ref redundancy.

My 1st child is due the end of this month and to be honest this couldnt have come at a more stressful time.....if there is ever a decent time. I understand that my colleagues are all in the same boat and feel for them also.

So I have a few questions....Ive trawled the net but not had much joy.

1) I understand a teacher isnt 'protected' just because they are on Mat leave (acceptable) but what would the notice period be?

2) would I, in the devastating event of being made redundant, have to re-pay the Add mat leave money (12 wks half pay)? i know some schools agree to let the person keep this money.

3) Would I still be allowed to claim SMP even if made redundant? Worked at current school for some 4 yrs prior.

4) what sort of settlement could I expect? Is it £380 per yr service?

5) when do redundancy payments normally come through?

Sorry for all the questions and I pray this doesnt happen but ofcourse with a child, need to be prepared for the absolute worst!

Kind regards,
    M

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Union.
    In every case.
    I hope you are in a union.
    If not CAB?

4. I have been made redundant 3 times and never received a penny in redundancy pay. The way they get round it is to offer you a job, any job and then say that they have redeployed you. If you choose not to take it, tough. Luckily I have gone on to better things each time.

5. Thanks both.
    Yes in a Union and they are calling me today.

I guess being redeployed is better than being jobless....it also gives you more time to look for something more suited.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here's a leaflet that explains a bit; this may answer some of your questions, or make you feel a bit less stressed.
    http://www.atl.org.uk/publications-and-resources/legal-employment-advice/redundancy.asp.
    Congratulations on the maternity, by the way! [​IMG] It's great news, and you don't want any outside worries at this time!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February (Although I believe that this is now full)
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com