1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible premature baby. Advice please!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by jo_the_star, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I've been informed that it's likely that my baby will be born early. At my 16 week blood check, the low PAPP A result suggested that he may be small for gestational age and there was a good possibility that baby would be early.

After recent scans, he's measuring considerably smaller and the consultant says that he may come earlier of his own accord, or be induced/C-section at 38 weeks due to the risks involved. I'm currently being monitored by growth scans and further doppler scans to look at blood flow and the health of the placenta. As well as twice weekly monitoring of baby's heart.

Has anyone ever had any similar experiences or experience of having premature babies? When was your baby born and weight and experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jo (32 weeks tomorrow)

2. Hello,
    I've been informed that it's likely that my baby will be born early. At my 16 week blood check, the low PAPP A result suggested that he may be small for gestational age and there was a good possibility that baby would be early.

After recent scans, he's measuring considerably smaller and the consultant says that he may come earlier of his own accord, or be induced/C-section at 38 weeks due to the risks involved. I'm currently being monitored by growth scans and further doppler scans to look at blood flow and the health of the placenta. As well as twice weekly monitoring of baby's heart.

Has anyone ever had any similar experiences or experience of having premature babies? When was your baby born and weight and experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jo (32 weeks tomorrow)

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I can't help with having a prem baby (mine were 10 days and 12 days overdue!) but I was a prem baby myself, born 4 weeks early. I was 6lbs9 so not that small really. That was in the olden days (lol) when they used to keep mums and babies in hospital longer anyway, but i was in for 2 weeks. I don't think there were any problems apart from a bit of jaundice.
    I have a friend who had triplets at 32 weeks and they were kept in hospital for a while obviously, but they were fine and are now perfectly healthy 11 year olds!
    In the meantime, try not to worry too much. Their scans are not always that accurate. I've known of people who were told their baby would be huge, only for it to be about 7lbs 6.

4. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Every day that your baby stays in utero is a bonus. In preparation for spontaneous labour before 38 weeks, I'd say learn to hand express colostrum so that you can make your own milk, his milk. It is easy to collect and store ante-natally and you don't need masses of it. 3 syringes containing 5ml of colostrum is sufficient to have stashed in the freeze and take to hospital in a coolbag if labour starts early on its own.

you can also request a meeting with the infant feeding coordinator to show you how to hand express and to talk about continuing expression if your baby has to spend time in the NICU initially.

While I advocate listening to your consultant, don't be afraid to keep arming yourself with information in the time being. You can also request 'expectant monitoring' instead of going for an induction at 38 weeks. Induction itself is not without risk and expectant monitoring means that they can keep monitoring your baby for wellness past 38 weeks. If the baby seems happy in there then you can leave alone. Every day your baby stays in utero is better for him - as long as his vital signs are within the range of normal. You can ask them to explain what is the Benefit, Risk, Alternative of any recommended procedure and what happens if they do Nothing in the mean time.

5. Thank you ladies. The plan of action is to keep him in there as long as possible (but he may come of his own accord!). I've been made aware of heightened risks (stillbirth, placental issues, problematic labour) if he's in there and difficulties occur.

Thank you for the advice regarding feeding. As soon as colostrum comes in, I'll start to express. I've recently been on a breastfeeding workshop, so will look over my notes and perhaps express some so that it's ready for him.

6. What a worrying time for you.
    My little girl was born at 34+5, so about five and a half weeks early. It was spontaneous and you will be reassured that a baby born this early can be absolutely fine. She was born naturally, rather than with intervention (at 5lb 1oz there was less to push out!) and came out crying. I got lots of skin to skin contact and her APGAR score was 9 (out of 10 if I remember?) The paedeatrics (apologise for spelling) were there at the delivery but were not needed at all.
    My LO was in the neo-natal unit but that was to establish feeding rather than anything else. She was in the incubator for the first half a day but was not on aspirators or anything. She did have a bit of jaundice but this is not unusual for any baby. I had to do colostrum myself (which is hard hard work) and (you might consider this lucky) I didn't have to worry about the meconium as the neo-natal nurses changed her until I was recovered (I had post-partum haemorrhage and had to go to theatre straight-away but that wasn't anything to do with her prematurity).
    My advice would be to pack everything ready to go as I didn't have anything (was planning to sort hospital bags after xmas but LO arrived on the 22nd!).
    I hope I have been of some help - it is a scary prospect but it can still be fine even if LO is born early. Oh - and weight-wise, my now 14.5 month old is on the 95th percentile for both height and weight - in comparison to other 14.5 month olds (as opposed to 13 month olds, when she should have been born) so more than made up for her prematurity!
    I think she is probably taking developmental steps like crawling and sitting up (and now we're waiting for walking) at the age she should have been, but it's hard to tell as even full term babies are not all doing these milestones at the same time.

7. Thanks for sharing your experiences Lilypot! It's lovely to hear of positive experiences of preterm labours (everything I seem to find online is a horror story!)

I've packed most of my things in my hospital bag in preparation! Just seems strange to be getting organised so soon, but I suppose it's best to be organised!

Your little one was a good weight for her gestational age. It's reassuring to hear from others and their experiences and that you've now got a healthy little one!

Thanks, Jo

8. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I was hospitalised at 28 weeks with pre-eclampsia. My daughter was delivered at 31+3 because she stopped growing and I was getting very ill indeed. She was 1lb 8oz, which is more like 28 weeks in size.
    She was a little fighter, who came out screaming. I was so ill I couldn't see her until the following day. The time in NICU and SCBU was tough, and we had some scares, but we got through it all with fabulous care and support from the NHS.
    She came home 4 days before due date, weighing 3lb 14oz. We used to get stopped in shops by total strangers stunned by this teeny scrap. She stayed small for months, but talked early, which really freaked people out! A crazy growth spurt at ~18 months made her catch up in size by the time she was 2.
    Fast forward - she is now a strapping yr 6 pre-teen who is already nearly as tall as me. She has had no health problems at all, is forecast L5 for maths and will take the L6 English test.
    So, you're already further on then I was and you are getting all of the close monitoring that you and your baby need to make the right decisions. I'm sending you lots of 'baby stay put and grow bigger' vibes, but if he does need to come early, please be reassured that the odds are VERY much in his favour.
    Good luck!

9. I went into spontaneous labour with my twins at 29 weeks, was put on some kind of drip as my waters hadn't gone and this halted the contractions. However my waters went at 33 weeks and I went into labour again and this time there was no stopping it. My babies were born weighing 3lbs 6oz and 3lb9oz. They were in SCBU for 6 weeks due to a range of care issues but I was told this was more because they were twins and had been sharing everything. Now they are 6 years old and they have made brilliant progress. They did need an extra year in nursery - but again a twin thing I think rather than prematurity.
    With my daughter I developed pre-eclamsia and was told all you have mentioned. At 37 weeks they told me they needed to deliver her as she had stopped growing and they were concerned for her health. I was given the choice of induction or section for the following day. I chose a section as I had needed an Emergency section with the boys and was worried about rupture of the scar. However, that evening I went into labour and delivered her naturally. She was 6lbs - which looked huge compared to my boys! - and was absolutely fine.
    It is good that you are knowledgable and prepared but dont be googling this as it becomes scary reading. Rest, try not to worry and remember you and your baby are being well looked after. I'm sure everything will work out well in the end. Babies are fighters!!

10. Really feel for you xx
    Like lucejuce was delivered at 37 (+1!) weeks because that's what consultant wanted (induced then emcs).
    I was like you in that at 30 weeks was told baby was ill and i would go into labour very early. Had steroids, scanned regularly and told to sit very still and quiet basically in the hope of avoiding a very prem baby. 32 weeks is just great, give yourself a gentle pat of the back every single daythat you stay pregnant. As undiwear said every day counts.
    Our baby was in a NICU for 5 weeks as she was ill. She weighed 5lb and a bit. Growth scans had suggested she would be a pound heavier the day before. They aren't that accurate. At 32 weeksyour baby will be bigger and stronger and more ready for the world than a lot of babies yuo may meet if he/she is born soon. We met some born at 26/7 weeks. Just remember that, 32 weeks is fab and hopefully you'll have some more weeks to go.
    Don't worry too much about clothes if baby is born early. i fretted over finding mini clothes when the hospital had cupboards full of them. You can buy stuff when baby is born and you know their size.
    My heart goes out to you. it is so scary hoping everyday you wont go into labour but you cant really stop it happening so dont be upset with yourself if it happens soon. All the best xx

11. I went into spontaneous labout at 35+6 weeks. Had 5lb 15oz little man. 3 paediatricians were present at the birth (no idea why 3 - must have been worried I suppose) The only thing was his body temperature being too low - they couldn't get it back up - took about 6 hours fully dressed and under a heat lamp. He did not leave me at all though - just meant we stayed a long time in the labour room after the birth. We left the hospital 3 days after the birth - he had gone down to 5lb 10oz (which is ok) and was fine. Took him quite a while to regain his birthweight but I don't think that had anything to do with him being prem.
    I have been warned that next time I may go into preterm labour again. Whether thats true or not I have no idea and we will wait and see. Definitely pack your bags - I was in complete denial that I was in labour - was on here asking what real contractions felt like. I was told you will know when you are in labour - well I didn't! OH was rebuilding the stairs. I felt really rough - bad back but as I have issues with my back anyway that wasn't a clue. Started at 5am - incredible back ache - carried on had lots of baths to try and ease it - didn't work - Looking back by 12pm being on all fours during these 'Braxton Hicks' should have been my clue (How thick was I?) Started timing at 2ish - again didn't think it could be real. OH was telling me during this time that I needed to ring hospital. kept refusing as I didn't want to waste any time. Gave in at 4 and rang. Could still talk between contractions - spoke to sister who said that because I was 35+6 I better go in and be checked.
    Packed! (stupid to leave it that late) and went in - at first check was 5cm dialated - but could still talk through the tightnings and they were close together - lots of hours later our little boy was born.
    One more tip - eat if you do go into spontaneous labour. I didn't and it meant I had to have a canula in my arm to give me some energy for labour I guess.
    Good luck
    x

12. I went into spontaneous labour at 34+4. I had a liver condition but this may or may not have been to blame.
    My little man weighed 5lb 10z and was 4lb 12oz when we brough him home after nine days in transitional care where I was with him.
    He is now a very, ahem, 'robust' nineteen month old.
    He is in keeping with his age regarding development and has been since he was about 12 months old. Up until then he took a bit longer with the early milestones. He was nine weeks old when he first smiled at us, he was seven months before he could sit up unaided and he was ten days short of one before he crawled but all this is within 'normal' ranges anyway.
    We regularly see lots of babies his age and they all have their strengths but you would never pick him out as the one that was prem.
    You are already in a good position, I was told many times that 30 weeks is a big milestone.

13. Jo,
    How are you? Really hope all went ok with your baby's birth and that you are both well. please let us know how you got on.
    Best wishes.

14. Hello! Thanks for the messages. Baby was induced at 37+2 as I had suspected pre eclampsia, raised blood pressure and he was still measuring considerably smaller. After a quick labour he was born on 18th April! His birth weight was 4lb 10.5oz and he's beautiful! He was jaundiced and lost a lot of weight during his first week, so was admitted to hospital. He's now thriving! He's had some difficulties in breastfeeding so I'm having to express and give it by bottle. He's a frequent feeder-every 2 hours day and night and cluster feeds on an evening! He's putting on weight now and is happy and healthy. :)

15. Great news congratulations :)

16. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Thanks for the update! I kept your thread on my hotlist and have often wondered how you were getting on. Sounds like you've had a rough time but that things are settling down well now. I take my hat off to your for expressing - I managed it for 8 weeks before my daughter did (finally) start to suckle herself. You are doing a great job! :)

17. Well done Jo! Congratulations! My little girl was born at 37+1 and was 5lb 2. almost the same! Yes i was bf loads too. i think tiny babies need to. Hopefully you'll need to express less as feeding takes off. i was very similar and had to express a lot xx