1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible PGCE fail - need advice

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Flyingpurplesocks, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Flyingpurplesocks

Flyingpurplesocks New commenter

So I started a PGCE in September, however my first placement never kicked off. Due to personal reasons (specifically something that happened when I was a child) I didn’t feel able to be in a church school. I conveyed this to my university, who then informed me that the school was not expecting me back and the placement had been given to someone else.

After waiting weeks for a new placement, last week I was finally assigned another school. I went in and had a really good first day, however just as I was due to leave the PCM came and told me that because I had a warning on my DBS (a fight with my ex from 2014 that will be filtered by 2020) the school could not accommodate me and the placement was being terminated.

I’ve now gotten word from my university that they’re calling a panel since the early termination of a placement is considered a fail. The panel will then decide if I have failed this part of the course and if I should be withdrawn from the course.

I would really appreciate some advice from anyone on here about what I could possibly do next? If I’m withdrawn from the course, can I reapply next year to a different ITT provider? Will I get the funding for it? Or is there any way to fight this panel thing? I really do want to be a teacher, I’ve worked so hard over the last few years - saving, getting experience and even doing a masters to top up my knowledge - and now it’s just looking like all of that will have been for nothing.

KateAnwen likes this.
  2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I am sorry to be harsh. But you don't feel able to teach in a church school. Bad experience.
    Let me tell you that you will have lots of bad experiences in lots of different schools if you become a teacher. Most trainees cry at some point during training and many fully qualified teachers cry as well.
    You have a warning on your DBS. I'm sorry. I may be wrong. But if I was a parent/headteacher I would immediately think that you have a violent temper. The result of this is that I wouldn't want you anywhere near my child(ren).
    Think it over. Talk it over with Uni. Find out if your DBS will be accepted by any school. The Uni should not have accepted you with a sub-standard DBS.
    The best advice that I can offer is to wait until 2020 when the DBS has been filtered.
    p.s. In my humble opinion, you haven't 'failed' you have just had unusual and difficult circumstances that should have been sorted before you were even in placement.
    God Luck:)

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Doesn’t sound like a fail, as it never actually started. But it does sound like you were given poor advice by the uni before starting the course.

4. LongTailedTit

LongTailedTit New commenter

From the way they worded it I had the impression that the 'bad experience' was along the lines of childhood sexual abuse, so significantly more traumatic than crying during a PGCE.

It seems odd that the school didn't pick up on your DBS record until after you'd already started there - not an expert in these things by any stretch, but I'd have thought vetting people before they were allowed to come to the school would be standard. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this causes a problem in most or all schools - I obviously don't know the circumstances but a relatively recent caution for domestic violence is understandably going to raise red flags if you're working with vulnerable individuals. You may be better off waiting and reapplying in 2020.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

This is an odd one - surely the university knew about the DBS when you started the course?

If they did, and sent you anyway, knowing that you would be told to leave and seen as a safeguarding risk, then that is wrong.

I agree with @saluki - all you can do is wait until 2020, if you still wish to teach. But bear in mind that picking and choosing placement schools is generally not common practice, and if you're teaching in some areas or some subjects, the choice of schools could be limited anyway.

6. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Obviously I can't comment on how your Uni works, but on our course a Professional Practice Panel will automatically be convened in the case of a school terminating a placement. The student attends the panel meeting and is able to make their case.

7. Flyingpurplesocks

Flyingpurplesocks New commenter

Hi CWADD,

Thanks for your response. Yes my university did know about the DBS, before I even applied as I’d emailed them. Essentially what it was was my pushing my boyfriend away from me during an argument in the street. I explained this to the University, and provided them with statements and evidence from the time. They then accepted me on to the course.

Regarding placements, I’m happy to work in any environment and any school be it single sex, even other religious demoninations - just not a Christian faith school.

Can I ask, you don’t happen to know if it’s possible to fully retake a PGCE another institution? I’m just beginning to wonder, since I’m now so behind, whether it’s feasible to just try and restart elsewhere.

Thank you and Saluki for your comments, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

8. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I think it may be possible to defer your PGCE or possibly to change to a 2 year part-time course. It depends on your uni.
    You need to discuss this with your uni.
    My PGCE DBS (CRB in those days) was processed by my Uni. This meant that I could go into any placement that the uni sent me to. Presumably, if it was acceptable to Uni it should have been acceptable to the schools.
    My main concern is for your student loan. Have you lost 9k over this fiasco? Would you incur another 9K of debt if you go elsewhere?