1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Possible other job offer?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon2047, Nov 20, 2011.

  1. Hi,
    What is the done thing regarding accepting job offers and then being offered something else? There is the chance that i could be offered a job nearer to my home but have accepted another job further away via email. It is supply or could be temporary but i have signed nothing and references have not been requested yet. The new one may be permanent, not sure yet.
    I do not want to do the wrong thing.
    Many thanks
    Jaime
     
  2. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    In law, a 'verbal contract' is as binding as a written one, so if you've already accepted a job, even by e-mail then that's it!
    My query would be; what form did the 'offer' take? In my experience, it's quite unusual to be offered a post by e-mail, so is this an offer from an agency? Not sure what the postion might be there, it may just have been a 'sounding out would you be interested' type offer in which case I recommend you contacting them and checking on their terms and conditions for the offer?
    Theo or someone else with greater knowledge will be better able to help.
     
  3. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    If you have had a formal job offer - by phone, by e-mail - and you have accepted - by phone or e-mail - you have entered into a contractual relationship with that school.
    You say that you have signed nothing, but you have nonetheless accepted. You wouldn't expect them to ring you up and say You know that job we offered you? We've decided to give it to someone else...
    The only thing is - was it actually a firm offer?
    You say that they haven't yet taken up references. This is very unusual, in that schools are expected to take them up BEFORE interview.
    You also say that it is supply or might be temporary - again this suggests that this was not a formal offer, because you would know exactly what they are offering you...
    So in this case I would go against the usual advice
    If offered a job, must I decide instantly?
    Dear Theo-turning down a job after already accepted it?
    I would say instead that you can just hang on here and wait until one or other of the schools gives you a firm written offer.
    Best wishes
    ___________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
     

Share This Page