1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible other careers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheoGriff, Oct 13, 2015.

1. teega

teega New commenter

I have really enjoyed my teaching career as art and design teacher and Head of Year. However a clash with new head of art was impacting on everything I was doing and the constant put downs and lack of communication led me to hand in my resignation. I felt let down by the line manager too. It is very strange to say the least when people say how lovely for me to be able to retire early! Confidence has taken a knock and hoping something good will come of it.

2. suem75

suem75 Occasional commenter

I knew this thread was here because I'd see it every day when I looked in on workplace dilemmas, but today is the first time I've read it. Its great but yes, sad that we need it.

I think I'm in the leaving teaching boat. I'm not sure because, at this point, it's a sabbatical. It wasn't really my idea - my mum suggested it . Originally, the plan was to study for a year then jump back in (I'm overseas, so it was mostly to try to get a job during peak recruitment time). Then I found a taught postgrad I'm interested in that will also give me a professional qualification. At first, I thought how to spin it for returning to teaching, then I realised that might not be what I want. I may well use that professional qualification and do something different.

At this stage, my decision-making ability is poor to non existent. So, I'll take courage from all the posts here, and give my new studies the chance to be my new career.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We wish you all the very best, @suem75 , whatever you decide.

suem75 likes this.
  4. Joannerestrepo

Joannerestrepo New commenter

5. plot71

plot71 New commenter

Does any one have view on courses for Teaching as a foreign language? I'm looking at developing English for business primarily rather than just English teaching abroad. This seems an interesting tangent to apply whilst exploring other 'career' options which would probably have to be in a portfolio format. Thanks.

6. gmoore

gmoore New commenter

I feel completely trapped in teaching, I have managed to get up to Director of learning in my career but due to SLT have left that job. I am so tired of the politics and having to watch my back constantly. I just do not know what to do next as I need my present level of salary to pay my mortgage. I have looked into medical retirement but i don't think it will cover it as it would probably be on the lower tier. Some dark thoughts have crossed my mind. I am so desperate to get out!

7. Tommymcmonkey

Tommymcmonkey New commenter

Hey there, I hope you're doing better now.

If it's any consolation, I quit my teaching job at Christmas and feel like a normal human again. I had the same dark thoughts - I imagined getting hit by a car on the way to work so that I could have time off, I hated it that much. It's the pressure of the job that's making you feel that way. No job should affect your mental health so negatively. Quit it, it's not worth it.

8. Carpo2012

Carpo2012 New commenter

Hi. I am a teacher of 13 years having previously been a Head of Department and Head of Faculty on Business and ICT/Computing and now currently doing a one year temporary position as a teacher of Business I am wanting to leave the industry after 13 years and am really struggling to get somewhere as lots of positions ask for experience in those roles/jobs. Any advice please would be much appreciated. I cannot afford to go to £20,000 a year but am prepared to make a big pay cut. Thanks in advance.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. alan1

alan1 New commenter

I'm nearly at the end of my retraining to finally get out of teaching, give it another 6 months or so and I then be qualified (I hope!) and be able to do something different. I'm training to be an embalmer.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Let's bump this thread . . . Some of the links may now not work, but the 3 download documents still do.

Best wishes

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good idea @TheoGriff
    Sadly so many appear to be quitting teaching and need ideas.

ilovesooty and pepper5 like this.
  12. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

I met a computing teacher at a music festival last Saturday. He was doing the catering with his Italian food van. He was finishing as a long term supply teacher of computing. He seemed to very much enjoy his new business. As he had taken the Friday off school to come to the festival he had to return this week to complete data input!

We shared a similar view of Ofsted so he gave me a discount off everything I bought or drank!

Kevin

13. cocobaby

cocobaby New commenter

I had to contribute to this thread after being absent for many years! I finally got out. After successfully teaching for 20+ years, I am now working as a Housing Enforcement Officer via an agency. I did an MSC in Environmental Health and achieved a PGDiploma with distinction. I stopped at PGrad because I did not want or have the time (over 55) for another full time career. I had some false starts in the past, not exactly knowing what I wanted to do but tried each and eventually found what I enjoyed doing and went for it. Now I'm having a ball, the pay is good, I can travel when l want to and don't work 60+ hrs per wk. Sometimes I do miss teaching. I found it very creative, rewarding and satisfying. The issue was UP3 with 3 teaching and learning points meant I was very expensive, I was always given the most challenging classes, the workload was ridiculous and I'd had enough of observations!!
    So my point is that it can be done. I've also often said to myself that 'I'm too old' but I still went for it and realised that being 'too old' is not the issue.
    When I knew what l wanted to do l looked at the criteria in job adverts and got qualified asap. It took me about 14 months. The biggest hurdle is experience. So, as it was a university course, I used their resources, went to different parts of UK and spent one week in different councils as work experience (where as it happens I met ex-teachers as EHOs who supervised my work experience.) It seems many Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) are ex-teachers. If you're under 50, you can go all the way as its takes some years to become fully qualified as an EHO.
    Of course we all have our transferable skills, planning, preparation, communication, mediation and admin skills which bolster any CV and I used to my advantage in my new role which I'm loving!
    Good luck to all.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Including custard pies?

15. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Mmmm ... so who would you take most delight in hurling a custard pie at?

Kevin ... hoping it is not me!