1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible other careers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheoGriff, Oct 13, 2015.

1. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Has anyone set up a franchise with a PPA sports coaching company?
    That is something that would interest me but don't think there would be enough money in it at the beginning and I'm not in a position to drop pay drastically.

2. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

@NQT08 I know someone who's done just that, he loves it - hours are not particularly great as he has to top it up with holiday clubs and after school clubs, but he says it's a great quality of life - all about balance I guess.

3. scruff77

scruff77 New commenter

Sockknittingtubes, you sound like the perfect person for marking either GCSE or Key Stage 2 national tests. I have worked marking for 2 years and have just been contracted to administer tests for Key Stage 2 Science and Technical Pre Tests for Maths, GPS and Reading. I have also applied to decode various tests. Almost all work is done at home on your laptop, so would be perfect for rural community - apart from administering!

What I have discovered is that if you are committed, the various testing agencies and research groups give you more and more work!! For example, I was offered a small contract over a weekend (I had to stay overnight) working on exams, which paid really well. I was then sent many emails offering other work projects. There is a whole industry behind the testing, with contracts in Pre Testing and Coding Answers.

I was happy being a marker, but you can apply for higher grades, such as team leader. Many of the people I met are in a similar position to you and love the freedom that this work gives, as well as the chance to attend a days training and mark at home!

Jolly good luck.

4. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

If you have taught A level Sciences, then the exam boards are looking for people to do their external assessment of practical work. I am retired but have a job doing this with one of the exam boards. You can apply online and need two referees.

5. bobdrivesahgv

bobdrivesahgv New commenter

Two things I am seriously considering:

Driving a lorry (or van), or going back to uni to knock out an MSc in data science/analytics.

I built a school data analysis system using Python - goes quite in depth with descriptive stats as well as predictive analytics. Pays twice as much as I'm ever likely to earn teaching maths - very, very tempted.

6. WillyDjangoReinhardt

WillyDjangoReinhardt Occasional commenter

Thankyou Theo it gives some of us at least a little more hope.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

8. SonaHerr

SonaHerr New commenter

patent your system and market it, to tutors, or for class teachers or year groups.
    depending on where you live you may be able to get a start up loan or grants to help with that

you can apply for a loan from the SLC for Postgraduate Master level study starting from Sept 2016
    Distance Learning is also OK

no-one knows enough about it yet to answer if you can apply for it if you have been funded for PGCE study . It does state that it can't be used towards a PGCE

bobdrivesahgv likes this.
  9. JIM07

JIM07 New commenter

I am resigning at the end of April and I am starting to panic about jobs etc. I still want to be involved in education but not sure about teaching anymore.I have found a job which has the salary band BG10...Can anyone tell me what I could expect to earn? I am worried about earning enough to pay the bills. Thanks in advance

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@JIM07

This is Bristol area? BG10 Salary: £26,293 - £29,558

Best wishes

11. JIM07

JIM07 New commenter

Hi, yes it's Bristol. Thanks.

Also, has anyone got any experience of being a Learning Mentor?

12. JeanL

JeanL New commenter

I left teaching last August after a car accident in April left me on crutches - and I taught on the 4th floor, lift broken! I was ok (well....) with the workload and stress load, but then being on crutches sharply increased the stress. When I was off crutches I was expected to resume full duties despite me saying that my feet hurt too much to do playground duty, sports day etc. The head shouted at me for 'refusing' to work! The experience gave me a huge appreciation for what disabled people have to go through!

I've retrained as a coach and I help other teachers manage their workload, work/life balance. I work mainly from home and find it very satisfying to see my clients gain insights and make progress.

joannagb likes this.
  13. JIM07

JIM07 New commenter

Hiya, Do you mind me asking how you got into coaching? I am finishing at the end of April and considering my options. I'm not sure whether I should do supply for a bit or try something completely new. It's so difficult when all you're really trained to do is teach!

14. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

@JIM07 You're amazingly well qualified for all sorts of posts. You can do ANYTHING. That's the problem, now you need to narrow it down. Teaching prepares you for almost everything, branch out a bit, there's a great big world out there just waiting for you to wow it! Coaching does sound like a great option, I'm in network marketing where teaching is also really helpful, and in literally LOADS of other careers too! Please don't underestimate your abilities, you can teach therefore you are a chameleon. End of.

15. zackeckey

zackeckey New commenter

This will be usefull as we are now supposed to work for longer!!:mad: How do they expect teachers to teach at 70?

new career, henrypm0 and JAFF23 like this.
  16. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

I would be interested to find out what any ex teachers out there are currently doing as I am wanting to get out but can't afford to retrain etc. I've read Theo's articles but nothing seems to inspire me. Any suggestions?

17. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

I am absolutely scared out of my wits but thinking of retraining options. Because most of us are over 24 (cough, cough) I think we can get a Government loan.

It would be good to know what others are thinking of doing.

Rather comical that my Dad tells me he's read there's a shortage of teachers but so many of 'older' staff are being 'encouraged' to leave. I don't think I want to teach any more, though.

topgirl1 likes this.
  18. JAFF23

I'm also really scared too maud1901. Currently on informal capability and today I nearly broke down when I saw that both the HT and DH had come to do a learning walk. My nerves are at rock bottom and as a friend pointed out, the same situation could reoccur elsewhere. I am stumped as to what else I can do career wise. Applying for other teaching posts at the moment because I don't know what else to do!!

19. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Aw bless you. I am in a similar position (informal capability) and I'm off with WRS for the second time in 2 years.I'm having to seriously consider my options as I may need to give up teaching to maintain my mental health (or rather to allow it to heal). Of course, this means giving up a regular income and pension contributions.

Have a look into the Govt. loan for retraining, though.

Take care of yourself, topgirl1.

topgirl1 likes this.
  20. JAFF23

And you too maud1901: thanks again