1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible other careers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheoGriff, Oct 13, 2015.

1. scruff77

scruff77 New commenter

I do quite a bit of exam board work and marking, as an alternative to teaching. The closing date for markers in some subjects is very soon - 26 Jan in some cases. You will need to be quick, although there seems an element of desperation, as they keep extending the closing dates.

2. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I moved from teaching (secondary MFL) into Network Marketing, which uses lots of the same skills as teaching as it's really important to be able to support a team and help them to build their skill base, this job requires no prior knowledge of marketing, recruitment, or the products as a good Network Marketing business will have thorough training - it's really important to consider carefully before joining a company as some will have a joining or admin fee, look up the company on the internet and ask lots of questions of the person sponsoring you into the business, make sure you really understand it - ask about pitfalls too. It fits really well around my family, and I still do the odd bit of supply or 1:1 teaching just to keep my hand in.

Another thing that has worked well for a friend who is a former science teacher with a family is being a Virtual Assistant basically a PA online. Very little training required, just independent thinking, ICT skills, communication skills and common sense.

I think it's really hard to imagine a career completely beyond education, it took me a long time to realise that my future didn't have to be in something related to education. You learn so many skills in teaching which are transferable to other careers. I had a look on the Prospects website to see what I could do and it's a real eye opener, it's a big world out there!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good post, @joannagb . Thanks for that contribution.

The very first post in this thread gives links to Transferable Skills for Teachers, showing how these can be used for very different careers.

Careers not related to teaching at all, but where the skills that you have developed, quite often without even realising, .are highly valued.

If you haven't clicked those links or downloaded the documents that I attached, you might find it useful to have a look now.

There is life, in fact a whole world, outside schools and teaching.

Best wishes.

4. glc13

glc13 New commenter

This was exactly what I needed to read tonight! I resigned from my primary job after 8 years, left at Christmas and am currently job hunting. It's great to see so many others have made the jump and have no regrets! I've started a blog which might you might find interesting, if you have a minute take a look - lifeafterteaching.org :)

henrypm0 and joannagb like this.
  5. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

Just had a look @glc13 it could be me writing! Good luck :)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

7. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

Reading this does make me very sad :(

There is hope however, I left teaching (10 years service) 3 years ago with nothing to go to. Nothing at all. Apart from looking after MY children (very very young at the time)

I was sick of going to a job that I disliked to earn money to pay for someone else to bring up MY children whilst I was looking after other peoples (not the pupils fault I know but I hope you get the analogy)

I relied heavily on my partner during this time and taught myself a new skill - I wont say what as it will be clearly identified - which a lot of people thought was a bit of a laugh and I freely admit I was unsure at the time.

3 years on, I am self employed, work a a few hours at the weekend which fits ideally with childcare at anywhere between £400 and £1000 over 2 days.

Sure, its not a teachers salary but how much happier am I, and MY children!

There is hope. Money and careers aren't everthing.

Good luck to all readers of this, I genuinely feel for all teachers out there

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's good to hear a success story!

Best wishes

9. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

Thank you @TheoGriff

Im still not sure I could be classed as a success, giving up a career and 30k+ job and often wonder....

However we have enough money to live on and are healthy. If I had stayed I'd have been either sacked or dead by now!!

Too many people but a massive emphasis on this notion of having to have a career to be a success. Nonsense. Live life, do what makes you happy!

henrypm0 and wanet like this.
  10. casper

casper New commenter

In three weeks time I will be qualified to treat people with Acupuncture. I cannot believe that after all that hard work I am nearly there. A really tough degree course, but worth it. The best thing I did was to walk out of my teaching job when I realized it was making me very ill. It was hard to see the wood for the trees at the time and I never imagined taking yet another degree. Soon, hopefully I will be running my own business. i know that has ups and downs, but I am happy. All the best to those out there who are struggling as I know how it feels. Be kind to yourselves.

henrypm0, katiekitten, janemk and 2 others like this.
  11. katiekitten

katiekitten New commenter

It is so sad that the first discussion thread is one about other careers, but it is SO needed. Thank you very much for posting this information.
    I have just spent 4 hours googling jobs to try and leave a school I actually love, and a career that I am Ofsted 'good or outstanding' at, because the stress is making me physically ill.

12. kimt1970

kimt1970 New commenter

I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling Katie Kitten. Full time teaching also made me very ill and in 2009 I had to have 3 months off sick. During that time I knew that something had to change. If I went back full time then I would just be ill again. I knew this. So I asked to go back part time and thankfully the head took this on board and I now teach 3 days.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
  13. saycheese

saycheese New commenter

What jobs can we do though? I want out!

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Start reading at the beginning of this thread!

Best wishes

15. Brownsuga1981

Brownsuga1981 New commenter

Hello everyone,

So I have finally decided to leave teaching and I will be handing my notice in after half term. I feel so much better knowing I finally have the courage to leave the career that has sadly left me drained. Anxiety and depression has almost killed me so now is the time to move on...

I have been teaching for 12 years pretty much straight out of uni so I will be relying heavily on my 'transferable skills' but there are lots of fantastic opportunities out there so I am open and excited for the change.

It does make me sad that teachers feel this way and are leaving the profession but reading all of your success stories give me hope. Life is too short and we all must do what makes us happy. I am leaving a 50k+ job and of course the holidays..my hubby still teaches but my sanity will be returned! There is no price for that.

Good luck to everyone staying in the profession and to those who are making the change!

henrypm0, k_dews and elegia like this.
  16. Tippi

Tippi New commenter

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Must declare a vested interest and trust that admin will remove this post if I've broken some rule about advertising.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  17. elegia

elegia New commenter

I moved into the library service which pays badly but has great job satisfaction! I needed a restorative break which gave me the courage to apply for pt teaching positions to top up my salary, however I won't be leaving libraries for now as I enjoy it so much!

18. Sunshine123456

Sunshine123456 New commenter

It seems to be like so many others on here, I am also looking to leave teaching. Over the last half term, I just started to lose enthusiasm and the energy that I once had!! I am fed up of working all weekend (and even when I am not working I feel guilty that I should be) and I just want a bit of a life back. I don't really want to hand in my notice when I haven't got anything else to go to and I am still at the stage of thinking what do I want to do (although to be honest anything seems better at the moment) but my question is where did people find a different job? Recruitment agencies/websites? Sorry if this question has been asked elsewhere!

19. sockknittingtubes

sockknittingtubes New commenter

20. sockknittingtubes

sockknittingtubes New commenter

I have worked PT for years with SPLD pupils- ( as have been a career and have a son with profound Special Needs) pushed out of teaching on grounds of capability -can get my teacher pension- do not get my state pension until 66- feel completely stuffed up always thought I was a good teacher until this capability stuff happened.. Now forced out and would liketo find a job using my teaching experience - have an agreed reference which looks wonderful- head was too lazy to write anything so with Union agreement I wrote it and Head signed it! Amazing- I am desperate to do something else as financially need to - any ideas please please- do not really want to Tutor and in this area no need for tutoring as a rural community