1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible other careers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheoGriff, Oct 13, 2015.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I'm wondering about translation. Doing an MA. Anyone know anything about that?

2. janemk

janemk New commenter

I've done an MA, but in counselling. You can stop at diploma level for professional qualification, which is still quite long in terms of training but most courses are part-time, and you could certainly do certificate level whilst still teaching full time. And here is my 'outside the box' suggestion for those interested in self-employed therapeutic work but without the time and expense - I also trained as an Emotional Freedom Techniques practitioner along the way, which takes 3 days, is far, far, far cheaper, and ironically, people seem to charge more for!

(I was also a teacher in a previous life and went through similar experiences to those posted here, did supply, changed sector, taught abroad - I already had a TEFL get-out-of-jail certificate straight after PGCE - private tutoring, as I teach languages etc. Good luck to all getting out!)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    misspexcel likes this.
  3. sarahspot

sarahspot New commenter

Hi there! I am about to leave my teaching post, but I am leaving before getting another job. Did you just apply for an office job? I'm scared - as I do not really know how to "do " office work..... do they train you up when you go in? Or what? I have been an ICT teacher for ten years, and believe me.... Its time I was no longer there.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Before you start applying, sit down and decide what it is that you already have as skills that an employer would value.

At a guess, I would say, for you:

• keyboarding
    • Word-processing with Word or similar
    • Excel and similar
    • Database use
    • Ability to manage your files on a computer
    • Familiarity with a range of IT packages, and therefore ability to learn quickly new ones
    • Time management
    • Accurate record keeping
    • Self reliant and self-starting
    • Able to work well in teams

Etc etc etc. The links that I give at the very beginning of this long thread suggest others.

So all that they will need to do is induct you briefly into office procedures and tell you what your tasks are.

Best wishes

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No employer is going to employ you for office work and have to "train you up", I'm afraid - there are many experienced office workers out there to whom they'd be more likely to offer the job.

You need to look at job descriptions and think about whether you have the skills to do the job.

6. sarahspot

sarahspot New commenter

Thank you - I would probably have been better to ask if they do induction - that's more like what I meant.

7. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

If you are interested in admin/office work can I suggest that you look at universities? Having common sense, professionalism, a strong work ethic, experience in education plus knowledge of IT would be considered invaluable. And yes, the right person will be 'trained up'. The pay will be less but it can be an interesting environment to work in. If you sign up with their temp agency you may secure a permanent post in that way once you've worked there for a while.

8. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

As I've been thinking about what I could do instead of teaching the idea of universities came into my mind too. I actually think one of my happiest times was when I was at uni so thought it could be an option. I'm open to other ideas too, looking at various websites to get a feel for what's happening until I can apply in summer (feels like so far away!)

9. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

@janemk that's interesting. What do you do, are you self-employed, is there a lot of scrutiny/hoops to jump through? Counselling does interest me, but I assumed you needed a background in psychology. And where I live there's quite a lot of interest in alternative therapies and techniques.

*off to Google Emotional Freedom Techniques*

10. janemk

janemk New commenter

@chicabonita Yes, I'm self-employed, and no, you don't need a background in psychology for counselling or EFT. There is a lot of scrutiny/hoops in counselling training; far less for EFT. EFT is based on combining meridian energy (as used in acupuncture but tapping with your fingers on far fewer points) with psychology, although I personally see it primarily as an energy therapy. I also think it works faster and more effectively than counselling for that reason. But it depends where your interests lie. I actually think all teachers (and pupils!) should be introduced to it at least. It's such an effective self-help tool for daily stress and anxiety and really quite simple in its most basic form. The best way is to try it on yourself and see what you think, or try a Level 1 one-day training.

11. Busstopjen

Busstopjen New commenter

I escaped from teaching a year ago (after 9 years) and have never looked back- I love my current job. there are so many transferable skills that develop through teaching. The company I work for are more than happy to accept ex-teachers (and ex-military for that matter). Don't stay in a job you hate because you can't see a way out- it's no good for your health, of for the students you teach.

henrypm0 and isamou like this.
  12. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I personally don't think I'd ever leave teaching because it's all I've ever wanted to do (beside Psychiatry but that's a whole different ball game)!

I will say, it put a smile on my face to hear that so many of you went back into education to study and get your degrees and diplomas!

Even though the teaching hasn't stayed with you, at least the thirst and love for learning and acquiring new knowledge is still with you! :)

13. bennettn

bennettn New commenter

Busstopjen - can I be a little cheeky & ask which company you work for?

14. amfox

amfox New commenter

I too have been teaching for 10+ years and feeling very deflated . Currently off sick with anxiety and looking at other avenues am interested in marking for exam boards has anyone got any links ?

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just Google each exam board - very easy to find.

Good luck!

16. fishtoe

fishtoe New commenter

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you @fishtoe !

The Guardian read about this thread (it was mentioned in the TES magazine on Friday) so have copied us!

:D

Best wishes

18. lilyflynn

lilyflynn New commenter

Theo - aren't you sad to see people opting out?

19. prettynails84

prettynails84 New commenter

@TheoGriff need to ask you a question but don't want to identify myself by asking openly on a forum. How can I contact you?

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo @prettynails84 .

I'm afraid that I cannot answer questions privately. You need to ask on a forum, starting a new thread and disguising your dilemma as appropriate.

Best wishes