1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible other careers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheoGriff, Oct 13, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I took a HND i computer system management when i was 55 intending to launch out into the city.Never made it because when i have to qualification they then all told me i was too old...so do check what they say you can do is n fact the truth.
    When i was initially in teaching i left because wages where poor...launched back into a landscaping tree surgery business.Was able to build a company from scratch and working very successfully for many years.Well till government policies saw my company die a sudden death as money went short. So it can be done.I still meet a lot of teachers doing work like garden maintenance.

2. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

Hi,
    It's great to see so many people contributing to this post and offering various suggestions to teaching.
    You have so many transferable skills that would make you desirable for a wife variety of jobs!
    I personally am a full time tutor, but there are so many opportunities for creating and selling resources, blogging.. or if you want a complete change you already have excellent organisational skills so something in events or planning may also be really suited to you!

Good luck :)

3. vikipearson

vikipearson New commenter

So, for 20 years I was in educational publishing. Since I had children I've worked in a local secondary school as a TA, HLTA and tried to do a SCITT course to become a teacher. Just abandoned it due to the hours, scrutiny and amount of work on top of looking after my own children, husband and elderly mother. But - I wouldn't go back to publishing. It's too precarious a profession - hire and fire at will, the pay isn't great and to be honest I'd miss a lot about working in a school - esp the kids. So I'm stuck in HLTA land - also somewhat precarious because we'll be in the firing line come the big cuts. However, it ticks a lot of boxes whilst I'm still needed at home by own family.

To be honest - lots of careers are stressful and few as secure as teaching. If I was a young teacher in the UK I'd look for a teaching job abroad for a few years. At least that gives you variety.

4. notsonorthernlass

notsonorthernlass New commenter

I was a primary school teacher for over 20 years - ended up feeling that the job had changed beyond recognition and that my personal values were becoming eroded as I was treated unfairly by a new headteacher. I am now a student nurse, nearly halfway through my degree, and enjoying every minute of it!

plot71 likes this.
  5. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

@TheoGriff Is there a way I can post a blog on the community site to share my experiences?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There are no blogs, just posts.

You could start a new thread. From the main page of a forum, click on the Post New Thread on the top-ish RH.

Choose carefully which of the forums to post it on, and remember the Community rules, especially about not identifying schools, agencies or individuals either by name or by details that makes it obvious who they are.

Including yourself!

Best wishes.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I doubt it - notice periods of longer than this are quite common outside school. I was once on 12 months, which came in handy when my company was taken over and I got 12 months pay; enough to keep me while I retrained as a teacher. It might be more of a problem if the job came up just after a resignation deadline, meaning a much longer notice period. Some people have risked giving in their notice at the end of May for the end of August, giving themselves 3 months to find a job but being able to start in late July if they find one earlier.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

9. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

This might sound naive or even stupid and it probably is (I am in a phase of brain-being-cotton-wool) but where should one look for a job like those mentioned on this thread? I would love something school-hours, and working from home would be even better. (Also a purple unicorn and the moon on a stick, please.)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

11. greencycledevon

greencycledevon New commenter

It can seem intimidating stepping out of teaching and into another job. And rightly so from a financial point of view. If you have been a teacher for some years and perhaps have not had experience working in other roles it makes sense to acknowledge that right from the start. However, in this thread you can see that many people do make that change. Teachers are hard working, very organised and well educated. Despite the temporary setback which have blighted so many lives and which are seemly part of a teachers lot these days (and which you may be experiencing at the moment - my sympathy if you are!) all teachers have successfully negotiated a rigorous recruitment process and have worked in a tough and demanding work environment and been successful, often for many years. That background and those skills are generic and will certainly stand you in good stead in a range of jobs careers.

I would say that you need to make a list of jobs that you can see your self doing. Say Social Worker, Occupational Therapist, Accountant / Book Keeping etc. and investigate them over time. You might be surprised how that list grows! The Job Centre or simply going online can get you this information - specifically you need a detailed Job Description and to understand what training may be required and what work conditions will be like. It is also really important to know what likely demand there is for that work in your area. You could arrange to speak to HR Departments for this. You may find in something like Social Work you can apply and receive paid training straight away.

However there is another choice. It depends on your age and your circumstances. But you may choose to become self employed. This will very much depend on your financial circumstances. But if it works for you, it can give you enormous flexibility and independence and may allow you to work from home. It can work well to supplement a pension for example and for certain occupations you can start the training in preparation for leaving teaching. Book Keeping for example may sound rather tedious - but in fact you will often be working with organisations who rely on your skills and knowledge to keep their businesses going smoothly. I pay £20 an hour to my Book Keeper and am lucky to have her! Being self employed also means that you can often determine your own hours of work.

Lastly, if you are interested in doing work which has the specific intention of supporting a particular social group (befriending older people, teaching kids to ride a bike, supporting refugees etc.), you can often get grants for that to get you started (The National Lottery, Unltd etc.)

Best Wishes & good luck!

12. har1her1

har1her1 New commenter

Hi,

i have just left my job (teaching full time in a college) due to caring commitments. I am now combining my caring role with distance tuition and I am planning a book. Financially things are tricky, but somehow, I feel more in control of my life.

frangipani123 likes this.
  13. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think that is an important point. I feel I am now in control. In teaching I was always looking over my shoulder wondering where the next criticism was going to come from. I mostly work at home (a massive plus) and write reports in a field in which I am interested (completely non educational!) for a friend who is a consultant (don't want to go into too much detail). He doesn't have time to do the reports himself as he is very busy. I have to go to the occasional meeting but I just feel I know what I have to do and how to do it. Had to drop about 20% of my wages but I've never been happier in my work. Oh and I get thanked once in a while!!!!

14. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

Hi Chicabonita, I taught Spanish in a 2ndry school for 10 years, stopped when I had children and found something that works really well for me.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

15. chicabonita

I'm already partly self-employed as a tutor, and would happily work as a remote secretary, so I'm thinking of doing a book-keeping course. I can write too, but wouldn't really know how to go about getting a book published. Don't you have to find an agent first? Also it's a bit chicken-and-egg in terms of having time free to write, while still paying the bills.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

17. chicabonita

Wow, brilliant. Thank you very much.

18. lwess

lwess New commenter

What type of business have you gone in to? I think the time has come for me to seriously consider my options!

19. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

Most good wishes to every one thinking of leaving teaching. I've always been an advocate of that on both sides of the equation, and no-one not suited to teaching should trouble themselves with the duties put upon them by teaching. It must be terrible. There are lots of new job opportunities out there for people who are committed to their jobs, and you should just step out and find them. Best wishes with that.

20. handsolo

handsolo New commenter

Just skim read this thread, looks very useful for my needs. Since I last posted I have managed to secure a decent job doing a subject I enjoy - media. However the state of teaching is horrendous at the moment. I am therefore looking to leave soon. I will see out this school year, but ideally want to do a masters in sustainability and community adaption. This will qualify me for environmental management jobs. Before getting into teaching, I wanted to move into this sector, since I was working in charities already. However this was during the recession and the charity sector was poor and the corporate world hadn't accepted environmental issues as serious, at that point.

I am posting because I wanted to ask the question: What kind of jobs might there be to do alongside my masters, which suit the environmental/community angle whilst making best use of my transferable skills? The masters is two-years (Sept 16 start) and, whilst I think it might be manageable (just) in the job I am in now, I doubt it is the best option.

Any thoughts appreciated. In the meantime I will hunt through this thread later with interest.

Thanks

H