1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible other careers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheoGriff, Oct 13, 2015.

1. BTBAM

BTBAM New commenter

Thank you for your replies!

Gosh, another avenue to investigate... Thanks for the links, I will have a good look. I didn't intend on becoming a teacher, it just happened really and it turned out I'm good at it but I have found myself thinking, pretty much from day one, that this isn't a forever career for me. If there's a lot out there (I haven't really thought about it to be honest!) then maybe I should investigate...

Do you know any other ex teachers who miss it? I feel like it might be one of those things where no one really regrets leaving but I sure do love the holidays. The amount of unhappiness I see around me is pretty awful. It's like the people who are left are the last garrison, and they will continue to go over the line at the expense of everything until they literally drop. I feel so bad for the NQTs at my school, three observations already and several 'requires improvements' and they've barely started! I got to train when we still wrote 'good effort' at the end of a piece of work!

2. BTBAM

BTBAM New commenter

I keep trying to read MrMedia's reply but that picture of Bob is just so dreamy.

3. lilolmelovesmyjob

lilolmelovesmyjob New commenter

This is exactly what I am thinking about A LOT at the moment so thankyou for providing this information. I shall be saving this link to look at when I have more time

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon )

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The story of why sailors traditionally had ear rings, in days gone past, has always amused me. Apparently the ear rings were made of gold to the value of what it would cost to buy themselves out of the Navy or off their ship. Wearing the ear rings told everybody else that they didn't need to be there and could walk any time.

As a secondary science teacher my equivalent of the ear ring were vocational electrician City and Guilds qualifications that I took in evening classes. In today's money I think you could get them for less than £1000, but I haven't checked up on that. It was money well worth spending. It gave me an enjoyable evening activity for four terms and made me happier in school, knowing that at least I was working towards an alternative to teaching. I did eventually use the quals to take five years out of teaching and when I returned, I ended up teaching the subject in FE.

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

One caveat to my comments above. You do need the practical skills for a job like being an electrician which you need to obtain by actually doing it. But you could get a job helping an electrician (or plasterer, plumber, chippy etc.) at pretty much apprentice wages I'm afraid, but after a couple of years you could raise your wages. Whatever, you are probably going to have to take a salary drop.

I had several mature people on my C&G courses that I taught, the oldest being 35 yrs or so. They were actually very helpful in getting the kids to grow up and realise what they were getting from the courses.

7. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

I was working at a primary school in Milton Keynes one day. The caretaker told me he was a former teacher who had switched lanes. He seemed very happy. He was telling me he had plans to set up a 'caretakers association'

Caretakers are usually in work by 7 am and often on split shifts in primary schools.

Kevin

8. greencycledevon

greencycledevon New commenter

I was a teacher for many years and was very glad to leave - despite the financial worries and the fact that I actually missed teaching and working with families etc. However the job I had previously enjoyed no longer existed and respect for teachers by managers was in fact non existent. In recent months I have watched my wife gradually become similarly disillusioned and as a result she plans to leave in 2016.

I had entered teaching as a mature student and had previously been in the forces, I also been self employed and I drew on that experience to plan a new career. I would say to anyone who is unhappy in the job to firstly do a financial audit and to then plan your exit. Don't wait until you are pushed and are making decisions under stressful circumstances - try and stay in control of the situation and to manage a planned exit.

I followed a life long interest in gardening and eventually retrained as a Social & Therapeutic Horticulturalist. Totally love it. Love being self employed and can hardly remember what a classroom looks like. That's not to say it is always problem free - but it works for me. You can guess where my wife is planning to work next year!

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    suem75 likes this.
  9. Pepper78

Pepper78 New commenter

That's the most inspiring thing I've heard in a long time and I couldn't agree more about managing your situation. I made the mistake of thinking I could cope and things would improve but left it too late and ended up playing into their hands by breaking down. Now I'm waiting for the whole farce to conclude so that I can begin to pick up the pieces of my life and livelihood. You are a wise man and I wish your wife every success too.

10. missteach2005

missteach2005 New commenter

This is an interesting thread. I've just changed jobs in September and I'm 11 years in. Feel quite down at the min. Feel like my life is being taken up by teaching. I'm doing 70+ hours a week due to the fact I'm teaching 27/30 lessons and teaching three subjects. I can feel my anxiety coming back and stress levels rising.

The future worries me as we want children and I refuse to put other People's children before my own. I love teaching. It's all the other ****. I work in the private sector.

Thank you for this thread.

11. greencycledevon

greencycledevon New commenter

Hi Pepper78 - don't be too hard on yourself! Your situation is very familiar and man. I was pretty knocked about and disorientated for a few months after I left - but the point is that teachers are skilled and in my view and in fact in my experience - are very capable of taking their skill set in to another setting. That said, you will need time to gather yourself and recover from the awful situation you have been placed in.

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Interesting thread and I am another looking to leave for something else.
    I have been teaching for 22 years in a variety of schools but mostly independent...and some very good ones where I was HOD and HOF, so my CV looks good to a potential indy employer. However, there are no independents in a commutable distance that I could work in even if they had a vacancy which seem to be dwindling for DT teachers.
    I trained as a furniture designer but never made industrial use of that and, although I do freelance design and illustration work, I just cant seem to make it pay well regularly. I also worked for many years as a keyboard player in bands and wine bars but, again, there is little work in that field any more.
    So here I am sat in a rural academy with 5 weeks of maternity cover left pondering my future as I really don't enjoy teaching any more. Its not a bad place but I never really fitted in and its that detachment which is putting me off further supply.
    I have a MA in Education, PGCE in FE and QTS and feel over qualified (and expensive) for many non teaching jobs so stuck on what to do next. Despite writing many children's books, I also struggle to get any income from them. Really struggling to see a way out of this without doing more supply....
    I should add that this is all from my own point of view. I am not, nor was I, subject to any sort of negative feedback. I left my last position to seek out a new challenge and have great references from all my employers. I just don't 'feel' teaching is for me any more and the dearth of permanent jobs in my subject is simply fuelling the idea of leaving.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The trouble with that sentence is that to seek a new challenge is often interpreted by Heads receiving applications as They told me I would be put on capability if I didn't resign.

Best not to use it in an application, therefore.

Best wishes

14. splinters

Thanks for pointing that out. I am continually bemused/annoyed by these presumptions of what certain terms mean. I have an excellent record of high achievement and work featured in two consecutive issues of Designing magazine last year. I average over 90% A*-C at GCSE and almost 80% A Level with many pupils achieving 100% for their coursework. I support my subject knowledge with 16 years as a high rated examiner and moderator.
    Why cant seeking a new challenge mean just that? On a similar note, the fact that i have chosen to take on some supply work to keep my classroom skills up to date and expand my teaching experience should be more commendable than sitting around waiting for the ideal job to appear yet it seems to allude to the fact that I am somehow incapable of getting a permanent job?
    Sorry for the rant but its really annoying and frustrating how these are so quickly judged without trying to find out the facts.

janemk likes this.
  15. splinters

And by that last line I mean prospective employers not anyone commenting on the thread.

16. Gummibaren

Gummibaren New commenter

I am 2 weeks into my first non teaching job, in an office and I am so happy that I am scared to feel happy in case it goes wrong.

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very happy for you, @Gummibaren !

Best wishes for this to continue!

Gummibaren likes this.
  18. Tigger1969

Tigger1969 New commenter

Hi everybody.

Just registered to TES and to get advice and low and behold the first post I come across is this one.

I have been and still am a DT teacher is a maintained secondary school for ten years. Before that I was in engineering for 18 years working on and programming CNC machines for the aerospace oil and gas industries. However, guess what I'm going to say next!!!.. Tired, drained stressed, losing the ability to communicate with the outside world unless it involves talking about pressures of work..Time to go.

I'm a single dad with two now grown up children 17 and 22 ( still live at home PAH ) the thing that I feel is restricting me is the notice period we have to give as teachers. I don't know but isn't the six or more weeks notice an instant put off to potential employers?.

Whats the best way to go about this jump? Just go and give them a months notice? run? stick two pencils up your nose and wear undergarments on your head.?

If you hand your notice in and go on supply in september? how easy is it to get regular work before you get back into regular work. which for me is engineering again.

Im a union rep, and I have seen a letter handed down to us by Chris Keates where Nicky Morgan is asking the STRB for ways of sending us down off ups to mps. Thats it for me I'm afraid. Need to go, live life, meet people, and get some work satisfaction.

Please help. Andy

19. lilyflynn

lilyflynn New commenter

Work for myself! Doing a million fascinating and interesting things.

And rentout my spare room...

misspexcel likes this.
  20. splinters

Sounds wonderful. Aside from the rents room could you elaborate on a few of the million things you do to make a living (no sarcasm intended)?