1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible other careers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheoGriff, Oct 13, 2015.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here are documents giving some suggestions for possible other careers.

In teaching you have built up skills and experience which are transferable to other areas of employment. In another thread I have given links to these pages with details of transferable skills:

Transferable skills of teachers.
    Transferable skills 2

There is also an attached document showing more transferable skills, and then goes on to show pages and pages of alternative careers that need these skills.

The other attached documents give possible career areas linked more directly to teaching in some cases, but not in schools. One of them is designed for Uni lecturers moving out of teaching, but I reckon that the suggestions will be equally valid for school teachers.

And don't forget the very useful National Careers Service which is free and available to all. If you phone them, they often arrange for someone to ring you back to give an objective view of other possibilities.

I trust that some of these will ring a bell and suggest a hopefully less stressful future for those of you who are in very difficult situations.

Best wishes

Attached Files:

Beergonzo, nickyp1, MrsT30 and 15 others like this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Excellent post Theo. So many teachers - especially those who have never done anything else - think that they don't have the skills to do anything other than teaching. This is SO untrue, and having a kind of 'one stop shop' provided by someone with your experience and clout is really helpful. Thanks for all you do.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you for thanking me. :)

And let's BUMP this thread

Best wishes to all

saycheese and petenewton like this.
  4. monicabilongame

bump

Bee154 likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump

Should I make this another sticky?

It's just that it looks so negative to have this one and my other one as the in-your-face welcome to this forum!

jacqablett and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. monicabilongame

If it's needed, it's needed.

bump

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  7. Gummibaren

Gummibaren New commenter

Good morning
    I thought I would help bump this too and share what I did when I left teaching.
    I have been self employed running 2 businesses. It was much easier than I thought it would be and it brought in money and gave me a lot of new skills. Off the back of this I have recently been offered a new job with a great company in a role that I will be able to hopefully develop and make my own. I have been so happy and relaxed for the last couple of years.

BelleDuJour, Grayella, plot71 and 4 others like this.
  8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Stickied

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. casper

casper New commenter

I am studying for a Degree in Acupuncture, due to finish next summer. I love it and feel that I should have done this years ago. Setting up my own business next year.

10. MrTeacher100

MrTeacher100 New commenter

It's so sad to see so many teachers leaving the profession but I can understand the reasons they do. Being a good teacher just isn't enough anymore...

Bump

11. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I left teaching 5 years ago, having felt that I couldn't do anything else, slipped into depression and all things miserable... no regrets at all, although making the decision was enormously stressful I'm now as happy as can be and wishing my husband would leave it too!! Thanks to all who are leaving for their years of hard work, and I wish you all the very best in your futures.

casper likes this.
  12. zannar

zannar New commenter

Thank you. Interesting reading.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing Thumbs Up emoticon)

14. monicabilongame

One thing to remember when looking for a job outside teaching is that, as a teacher, you will have one heck of a work-ethic! Never be afraid to flag this up to a prospective employer! I still feel guilty if I have any sort of a lunch break, or am sitting at my desk with a cup of tea and not doing three other things at the same time.

JeanL, lilyflynn and kibosh like this.
  15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing Thumbs Up emoticon)

Best wishes

16. Pepper78

Pepper78 New commenter

It would be good to hear from anyone who has just got out of teaching or is planning to do so soon: what are you doing / planning to do?

17. mysterycat

mysterycat New commenter

I escaped about 3 years ago. I can't give away too much detail as I still work in the 'education industry'. I was fortunate to have had other employment before I took up teaching and this stood me in good stead. What I will say though is that in the wider education sector teachers - particularly with any management experience- are in demand. This segment is very large and covers so much more than classroom teaching. There are lots of education shows and exhibitions around and you can see there the range of companies offering well paid jobs. My advice is to look around and play to your skills.

katiekitten likes this.
  18. BTBAM

BTBAM New commenter

mysterycat - Out of interest, what sort of jobs are these? I've seen lots of people saying there's lots of jobs in the wider education sector but what are these jobs? I've looked for education shows and can't find anything. Are these likes recruitment fairs? How did you find out about them? I feel like whenever I look (more out of curiosity!) I can't find anything concrete aside from the fact there are loads of ex teachers who all got a new job but no more information!

jones13 and saycheese like this.
  19. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Someone in my family is actually a non-teacher. They work fairly high up in what you might call building trade services - roofing, building, scaffolding etc. Both new build and refurb. Huge industry. And he says that they pay teachers' salaries to office people who can handle a desk job, present well, meet customers, write emails, multi task etc. Generally work at manager level without having to know 'the trade' but rather know how to manage and communicate.
    However, the job is 9-5pm. A lot less leave. And of course less long term security. Still, if you wanted to have your weekends back, your sanity back and earn a similar amount of money - the trade services would be keen to hire. Seems they struggle to get good staff. Can you imagine, teacher salary for 40-45 hour week? That would be like a ten pounds an hour pay rise!

20. mysterycat

mysterycat New commenter

There are Publishers, CPD companies, Exam boards, Companies which make Interactive whiteboards, Educational Software, the list is endless.

Try here:
    http://www.bettshow.com/page.cfm/action=ExhibList/ListID=1/t=m

http://www.education-show.com/productlist

Companies often advertise jobs on their websites so you will have to take the time to look for things which are relevant to you and tailor your CV.

Like Mr Media says above it is all about what you want. Personally although I appreciated the intellectual challenge of teaching and re-learning new things in my subject I quickly tired of the poor management, the endless hours, having to take you holiday at someone else's convenience and the low pay.