1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible Mid Life Crisis

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by pinkclarebear, Feb 13, 2020.

1. pinkclarebear

pinkclarebear New commenter

Evening!
    I'm really confused career wise & am in need of some impartial advice (please be kind)

Since leaving my full time primary class teacher job 10 years ago I have moved around the country allot & mainly done supply (long/daily work)
    I'm currently working as a HLTA in a primary covering PPA/in house supply teacher (on the cheap)

I'm feeling pretty fed up with my lack of career but so confused with what to do next.

I have always been interested in reading recovery/speech therepy/councilling & want to do something more but just go round in circles, thinking of ideas/ getting confused & then lack self confidence & feel deflated.

Basically I'm asking....where do I start? Does anyone feel like me? Anyone else feel like they're in a rut????

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Find a careers adviser?

3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Do you know anyone who does the kind of jobs you want to do? Could you contact somebody who does and ask how they got into those areas, what training they did, etc?

4. I have definitely felt that way- what you're experiencing could be burnout. I would start with taking time away from work and if that doesn't help- I found it useful to speak to a counselor. Take it day by day and be kind to yourself/ allow yourself to look at other career options. it's never too late to change careers.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The careers service at your former university may well be able to help you. I understand I'm still entitled to use mine!

6. leylandii

leylandii New commenter

Consider whether teaching abroad could help you regain your mojo. It worked for me!!

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I know exactly how you feel!

Just start job hunting, and see what is around?

You might stumble across something that suits you which you had never thought of

8. lmm23

lmm23 New commenter

It does sound like burnout. After 12 years in HE, I've spent the few years - still in post - mulling over life in similar ways. Whilst I have actually done some counselling qualifications, and am considering this a viable option, I've had lots of therapy and know what it is all about. Reading you thinking about this, in the absence of actually having some experience of the profession, makes me wonder whether you are projecting onto a potential future client your present need to talk to someone yourself, in a therapeutic context/existential context. Either you deep down know this or you have experience of this industry, and it is a viable option for you (and I'll get my coat). In all seriousness, it has helped me to really reflect on what it is I'm good at; what is it about my current choices that isn't working for me; whether there is anything about my current job that is troubling me; and whether I haven't moved in the direction I wish because of being institutionalised, lacking in confidence, or anything other number of things.

It will rumble on and on until you get a hold of what's stopping your forward progress. I've done the moving around places all the time as well, until I looked inward and stopped running away.