1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible learning opportunities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzii_2008, Dec 4, 2011.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I have a copy of them and was considering putting them out because we thought we'd be having an Ofsted but they haven't arrived. Not sure who's benefit they're for but like you said nursery aged children can't read them and surely a EYFS professional; teacher, TA etc. would all be aware of the learning opportunities within each area.

2. I feel the same, but this is exactly what we were criticised for at the last OFSTED, and no amount of me justifying why a decision had been made not to put these learning cues up made an ounce of difference! We had examples of questions adults could ask, and ways that adults could support, displayed, but no questions for our nursery children to read!

3. Looks like I will be reprinting and putting them up then! I'd rather be displaying the childrens work in the precious little wall space I have.
    I have also been told to stop the children regularly and remind the whole class what we are supposed to be learning,practising etc in each area. I have also got to draw attention to what progress they are all making at every available opportunity to the whole class. I would do this naturally to individuals and praise them but not in the way I am being asked to,these mini pleneries in Nursery seem bizarre.
    We are expecting OFSTED too. I am sick of jumping through hoops,stating the bleeding obvious and constantly feeling stressed about the simplist of things. All this is pressure from management.
    I am well fed up!

4. The key here is that the head wants mini plenaries so that the observer knows what is going on. Not for the children or teacher then, but just for the observer. So the head is unlikely to take into account what is in fact best for the children in her drive to impress the inspectors. Enough said.