1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible interview questions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jessy86, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Would anyone like to share any interview questions that they have been asked?

2. Would anyone like to share any interview questions that they have been asked?

3. If you were a car, which one would you be and why? This one threw me!

4. surely not?

5. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

What attracts you to this post
    Where do you see yourself in five years time (hate that question!)
    What are your main strengths as a teacher
    Describe your classroom environment
    Talk about a time something didn't go well or go to plan. How did you cope, and what did you learn from the experience.
    You have been instructed to develop a scheme of work with a colleague, but they are refusing to cooperate. How would you deal with this?
    A parent contacts the school to complain that their child cannot complete the homework you set. What would your response be?
    A pupil informs you they want to move into your class because they dislike it with your colleague. How do you deal with this situation?

6. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

God, I got asked some ridiculous, convoluted question that came down to "what's your favourite book"....
    The *** governor who asked it concocted this massive, long story along the lines of aliens coming down to earth on a mission to destroy the written word. It was painful.
    Prepare yourself a good answer around assessment. I've been asked an assessment question in every recent interview.

7. Professor Dumbledore

What got starred out there? I didn't swear..
    ***? ***? ***? I don't remember what I put!

8. Professor Dumbledore

You are joking??
    i.diot is a banned word on Tes??? <Aware of seeming unhinged by ongoing conversation with self.>

9. thanks!

im terrified!

10. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Don't be!
    If you do a search on middlemarch and mindmap in Jobseekers, she has some amazing advice on preparing for interviews.
    One tip she gave me, hopefully she will not mind me passing it on, is that if you don't understand a question, don't be afraid to say "Would you mind clarifying ..."
    Silly questions are signs of a silly school so don't worry about that (although I always ask about favourite books, more of an ice breaker than anything else. It helps put people at ease, especially young students/NQTs) x

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Don't mind in the least, bg!
    I hate it when governors think they're being clever with daft questions, though I blame the heads who let them ask them - for years in two headships, my method has always been to sit and devise a list of questions with the head of dept (if I were a primary head, I'd have sat with the deputy or other experienced teacher), then - if I've had governors involved, which hasn't always been the case - I've allowed them to ask one.
    On some occasions when I've had governors involved - and having got them to a state of recognition that for most of the questions they didn't really know what the best answers might be - I asked them all, so that the candidate could have a dialogue with just me and the governor(s) present took detailed notes.
    The stupid ones about 'which animal would you be' are there because the governor concerned doesn't know enough about teaching and education, so he's been allowed to come up with something to which there's no real answer. Pointless and unnecessarily stressful to the candidate.

12. Great help guys!!

I think id rather take my driving test twice over and that was nerve racking enough!

13. Middlemarch

As badger_girl has indicated (and if you follow up her reference to my advice on mind mapping), the best way to prepare is not to 'question spot' but to develop fluency in talking about education, pedagogy and school issues.

14. Sorry I need help locating mind mapping?

15. Middlemarch

16. Absolutely true!