1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

* * * Possible interview questions * * *

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dizzymai, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Brilliant. Thanks. I've printed them up and they are on my pinboard, to mull over until the interview.

2. delma

delma New commenter

I have also printed these out too-thanks for posting them on here. :)

3. Is it just me, or is this a trick question? What are the interviewers actually looking for in this question? Is it the case that they want honesty?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, they quite like a weakness that could be seen as a strength or one that they can relate to. . .
    Expecting too much of yourself, getting a bit behind with your paperwork . . . but say in both cases how you deal with this, before they ask you!
    Or one that is unrelated to teaching - bad at parking. But that's cheating and they may push you for a professional one.

5. These questions are great! Is there a similar list available for an interview for key stage 2 phase leader post? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that it would be pushing it a bit to expect specific questions for KS2! But you could do a search on SMT (try interview questions) for general management and leadershop questions.
    And do the same search on Primary.
    Best of luck!

7. At one interview I was asked what my favourite cartoon is. I can honestly say that threw me initially but I soon bounced back with an answer - didn't get the job though [​IMG]

8. Wow soooo helpful. Extremely glad I found these questions. Got me thinking already. Hope some of these come up in my interview.
    Thanks alot for these!!

9. Had two interview in last two weeks, these are the questions that came up for me:

1st interview-
    *Tell us about yourself?
    *What could you offer us as a school, and what would you want from us as a school?
    *How would you deal with bad behaviour in your class?
    *Do you think it is important to involve children in school activities/decisions? If yes, why?
    *How would you involve parents in school?
    *What would we see if we came into your classroom?
    *What forms of assessment do you use in your classroom?
    *Tell us about an effective lesson- What is was? Why it was was good? What would you have changed?
    * Why do you want to work at this school?
    * Where do you see yourself in five years?
    * What roles would you take responsibility for in the school either now or in the future?
    * What would you consider your strongest skill you could bring to this school?

2nd interview - I had to analyse data for 20 minutes prior to interview so some of that was discussed, so not all these questions will be relevant. I had to level a piece of child's writing, obsevre and note strengths and weaknesses and set targets, then had to analyse a years data for school and percentages of levels in each subject, school and national comparisons.
    * Tell us about yourself
    * What could you offer to this school - skills, subject knowledge etc?
    *What do you think to the idea of parents being stake holders in school and why do you think this is important?
    *If you had some poorly behaved children in your class, what would you do about it?
    *What interactions have you had with parents, positive or negative?
    * How would you handle an angry parent? How would you handle a concerned parent?
    * What do you understand in terms of APP(assessing pupils progress)? What do you think would be the benfits of APP for the child?
    * If you were to get the post, how would you prepare for September?
    * If i was to walk into your classroom on the first day of term with your new class, what would i see?
    * What would i see in your classroom?
    *Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
    * What co-ordinators role would you prefer and which subject do you feel you could offer us the best knowledge in?

* Data questions -
    What level would you give this child's writing?
    What did you notice as the child's strengths and weaknesses?
    What targets would you set for this child?
    Looking at the school data, what could you interpret from it? What are we doing well at? What are our strengths and weaknesses?
    Thats all i can remember for moment... I will add more if i can think of any they asked. I got the job at the 2nd interview. Message me if you would like any more help or advice about it.

Lesley :) Good luck everyone

orkida_87 likes this.
  10. Questions I was asked during my 1st interview of 2 I did yesterday:
    1. What do you know about the national curriculum?
    2. What do you know about the PNS? How do you use the PNS?
    3. What do you think of parents helping in their child's class?
    4. What style of behaviour management do you like to use? How does this look in your classoom?
    5. How would you deal with issues with colleagues (sp?)? i.e. people can rub each other up the wrong way.
    6. What do you see your role as in the school team?
    7. What type of person are you?
    8. What do you like to do with your spare time?
    9. What are your interests within teaching?
    10. How do you keep up to date with the latest education news?
    11. What do you know and think about the Rose Review? *Thank goodness I skimmed that the night ebfore my interview!*

There were others but these are the main ones can think of at the moment!

11. After 10 Applications, 3 interviews finally got a job. Here were my questions
    1) Why teaching? why this school?
    2) What AfL do you use in your class?
    3) How would you discribe an outstanding lesson in your subject?
    4) its friday afternoon, its raining, you have year 9 period 5. There's been a fight, how do you deal with this?
    5) little Johny still refusing to work - how do you deal with him?
    A few more but cant think now.
    Going over the questions does help! thanks to all who have posted. Good Luck to you all x

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done Finchy!
    [​IMG]
    You're a Star! A Sparkling Star!

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here you are - a whole goldmine full of interview questions to ponder.
    Best of luck.

14. Thank you so much for this! It has saved me so much time. Now I just need to come up with some answers!

J

15. Have been in a dream like state - hasn't sunk in - since Monday after a successful interview for a permanent contract and being very good and waiting until holidays start tomorrow to celebrate! [​IMG] - Thanks Theo! your advice on these boards has been wonderful!
    here are the questions I was asked - as best as I can recall the wording
    How would I manage and teach composite classes effectively?
    How would I ensure depth of learning?
    How would I promote and sustain positive behaviour?
    How would I develop and take the school forward regarding GLOW?

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Engelz, you're a star, a sparkly star!
    Hope you are just as excited when you start the job. "Holidays start tomorrow" - where in the world are you?

17. ooooooo thank you! I have yearned for a sparkly star for so long :)
    I am in South Ayrshire - October break begins tomorrow. I was temping and contract ends tomorrow, now? I know I am not unemployed but going on October break.... such a relief!

18. Dear Theo,
    I have recently moved to Scotland and applying for Maths posts. I'm fully registered, and done a thorough search of the Curriculum for Excellence, and Assessment for learning, and observed that much of what is there is what I have always done in teaching. It has taken me a number of applications to write an application (only online or specific application forms) that is sufficient to be invited for an interview.
    For the last interview, I looked closely at the forum on interview questions, and also did a search on the web for others, so I felt prepared.
    One of the really frustrating things for me, is that the interviewers ask coded questions and I only find out what they want in the feedback when told that I have not got the post because I failed the interview.
    In the last interview I asked the interviewers if there was anything else they wished me to address and they replied in the negative. During the feedback session I was told that they would not expand on the question because this would constitute "prompting".
    The one question that I have been told that I failed both times was the team question. In the first interview the code was "what can you bring to the department". I was told that this was the "team question" which I did not answer properly.
    In the other interview I was asked to describe when I had been an effective member of a team, and after informing the interviewers that in my last post, team work was an integral part of the job, I then gave a specific example where I had done some data analysis to assist the team in solving a problem. In the feedback session I was told I had failed the team question because I did not tell them what role I was playing in the team. (despite the fact that I had dealt with descriptions of multiple roles in the online application form, and was specific that my role was data collection and analysis to solve a departmental problem.)
    So, is there something I am missing, because I haven't a clue what the "team question" code means.
    In my last interview I was told that I did not answer the question in the way they wanted, but they did not disclose the precise details of the question, and I was supposed to interpret the code.
    It seems to me that schools are not really trying to find effective teachers or using the interviewing process as an information gathering process based on professionally centred dialogue, but they are looking for people who somehow know what they want to know without their asking specifically what it is.
    So, this is my question: where do I find out what on earth head teachers mean by their codes?

19. It seems that I'm replying to my own post, but there is some advice I can suggest to others. Through a rather roundabout way, I found out about Careers Scotland, where one can get assistance and advice in application, cv's and interviewing skills. I'm not sure if there is something similar elsewhere in the UK. The people there are really helpful and I was advised into how to analyse the type of skills these questions are addressing, and how to use examples more effectively. It seems that I have been missing the more obvious ones (because I thought they were fairly obvious to anyone who has taught), but the team question is designed to establish how we take cognisance of other's input as much as what we do ourselves. The person at the careers office suggested that examples such as collaborative exam setting would deal with this.
    Hope this helps anyone else out there.

20. Sorry this is not a direct reply to the last post but I wanted to share some interview questions from recent interviews as reading the ones on here already were a great help for me.
    This interview was yesterday, it was a simple, relaxed interview where the headteacher made it clear they were not trying to catch anyone out, which I was pleased to hear! Here are the q's:
    Tell us about what led you to teaching and then why did you apply to work here?
    When have you been part of a team?
    What would your ideal classroom look like?
    You see a child with bruising in PE and don't believe their explanation, what do you do?
    What does a creative curriculum mean to you and what experience do you have of this?
    How do you identify a child with SEN?
    You have a child who is underachieving, how do you deal with this?
    How do you deal with a difficult behaviour? (worded differently but I can't remember)
    What do you know about APP and AFL?
    How would you encourage parental envolvement?
    How do you assess children's progress?
    What are your curriculum strengths?
    Here are some more questions I can remember from scarier interviews in the summer term:
    Here is our school motto ..... how would you bring this into your teaching?
    How would you involve parents and governors? (didn't know the governors part!)
    How do you ensure every child matters?
    What are the advantages and disadvantages to a cross curricular approach?

Hope this helps somebody xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.