1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible ICT qualification

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by beechclose, Jun 5, 2019.

1. beechclose

beechclose New commenter

Hi

I have been tasked with introducing an ICT qualification to our Y10s next year. We are a very small special school with a wide range of ability. I am a maths teacher (with a degree in computing) and for maths we have children doing entry level through higher level GCSE. I've googled lots of courses and am now just confused - does anyone have any suggestions of courses that would be good to do?

Thanks
    Sallie

matthew47 likes this.
  2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

In what way do you mean "good to do", ICT qualifications are thin on the ground now. Is this qualification the only offering for key stage 4 i.e. Computer Science is not an option. In truth you only have the vocational qualifications such as BTEC Information and Creative Technology (not really looked at it), Edexcel CIDA (never liked it), Cam Nat IT (very much a project management course). I actually do the Cam Nat Creative iMedia, but in truth it does not come under the performance tables for IT but Arts and Media. My first thing would be to look at your KS3 offering and see what students have done the most of, if they do little or no ICT because of the heavy CS elements that some schools do, why choose IT at all?
    As a special school whet sort of SEND do you handle? If your students like the creative stuff, go down the iMedia route, else the Cam Nat IT offers the better skill set in my eyes.
    Hope this some help

ParakeetGreen likes this.
  3. beechclose

beechclose New commenter

We have very dyslexic and dyspraxic kids - SMT are suggesting European Computer Driving Licence but I can’t find much information about it. Anything that requires an exam / assessment will be really tricky, we also only have access to Chromebooks and no budget!

4. dalersmith

ECDL - no longer counts for performance points, however, it is still relevant in industry, there is not much difference between the school version and the version I did whilst working for the Royal Bank of Scotland. If your SMT have no problem with qualifications that do not appear on the performance tables then go for it, it will work well. You will find all the information on the BCS website
    https://www.bcs.org/deliver-and-tea...r-digital-literacy-qualifications/teach-ecdl/

ParakeetGreen likes this.
  5. apapa

apapa New commenter

ECDL is awful and should be consigned to the dustbin of history (IMHO)
    I work in a special school (ASD). iMedia has worked well for our students. Plenty of opportunity to collaborate with Art, media / English and Science.

Not a GCSE but there is a resource called scratchmaths that would combine both your talents and be useful for your pupils: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ioe/research/projects/scratchmaths

6. apapa

apapa New commenter

Sorry that is a bit harsh. ECDL is not awful but there are far more enjoyable, creative and holistic Level 1 and Level 2 courses out there.

7. dalersmith

Don't worry about it, at my old school we called it ECDHell. I must say I like iMedia, but my students do not, they find the reports a chore.

8. apapa

apapa New commenter

I hated ECDL. It was foisted on me by a DH without any thought. I had a combination of the most challenging children, the least engaging course and only about 30% of the GLH to deliver it. I still have nightmares about spending three hours explaining what the icons on a PowerPoint menu were for. Not what I went into teaching for.

My pupils also do not like writing the reports that much. I tend to let them create presentations which they then annotate where possible and certainly for the Section 1 investigations. I feel the balance of writing / creating / producing annotated evidence is good. I also understand that being able to complete well written, grammatically correct technical reports is a life skill so we have spent significant amounts of time on this.

9. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

If it doesn't have to count for performance points then look at the iDEA. This takes care of most of the admin., marking etc for you and provides good progress and tracking feedback

dalersmith likes this.
  10. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

I work in an SEMH special school and have done Functional Skills Level 1 and 2 in recent years. I have been looking for another qualification and this was suggested to me in another thread

https://idea.org.uk/faqs

I have had a look and like it so going to run it in KS3.

dalersmith likes this.