1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible grade in GCSE MFL without oral

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by noemie, Feb 17, 2012.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

But to be fair, an oral face to face with his teacher is all he would need to do, as speaking is done as a controlled assessment, so if he's managed to do that then there shouldn't be any bigger pressure. The CA can be done whenever he wants during the 2 years and only the best two get sent off, so it should remove some of the pressure. The length of the oral is between 4 and 6 minutes.

2. Thank you for those replies.At the moment his gut feeling is to go for it and my husband & I are completely behind him. I like to think that if he's got that goal it will help him to overcome his SM.

3. Is there no way that your SEN dept. and Exams Officer can sort something out with the examination board to take this into consideration - for example, is he completely unable to function in speaking activities during classroom sessions? Could they look at any kind of feedback from the teacher on this score?

Good luck with it, regardless, I think that wanting to do an MFL with SM is just admirable! And German too - fantastic!! (German teacher here!)

4. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

There should definitely be a way for this to be taken into account by the exam board - I teach a GCSE pupil who is profoundly deaf and although she does a very good job of speaking French under the circumstances, she is obviously at a major disadvantage compared to hearing pupils. The exam board has said that she can do listening exams by having someone (lucky me) read the script to her so she can lip read, and I'm currently in the process of finding out what we're going to do about her speaking assessments but I know they definitely make allowances for it so I can't see why it would be different for someone with selective mutism. Our SENCO has been extremely helpful with all this so that's probably the best person to contact at your son's school.

5. Unfortunately, even though the exam boards say they will take things into consideration, this is not the case when it comes to results. We had a boy with a severe stutter to the case of he couldn't get out ANY words for either of the exams, no matter what the circumstances. We discussed it with our SEN dept and the exams officer and applied for special consideration. Said student then got an 'F' grade due to missing 30%.... (granted the rest of it wasn't great, but still!). Ignore any 'advice' from teh exam board and just persist with trying to get a controlled assessment out of him....

6. ooooh, just had some feedback from OCR re. a portugese speaker I'm putting through GCSE.
    Might apply - they said that he is doing his speaking this year and can put off the written until next year to bring it up to the same standard - this will be alright, AS LONG AS 40% of controlled assessment work is done in the terminal year.
    How would this affect your child - if it does and they just don't do ANY oral, does this mean they must put off ALL written work until Year 11?
    Might not be a problem, but did think of you when I heard that.....